The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Jo6pak

New eyes, old Rifle

So 2 weeks after my cataract surgery, I hit the range to test out the new eyes on some old iron sights.

Took my M1896 Swedish Mauser manufactured by Carl Gustav in 1912 and sent out some 6.5x55mm surplus ammo downrange.

While these two 3 shot groups at 100 yards from prone may not really impress anyone, I am quite happy with the results. Before my surgery I would have been hard pressed to put one or two hits in this 10" circle using iron sights.

I'll need to tap the front sight over a little to zero it, but the grouping it nice to see. This is how I was shooting 15 years ago. In the past few years, I had pretty much given up on rifles without optics, especially my old battle rifles with notch/post style irons.

P.S. If you look closely, you'll see the price on that box of surplus ammo. Which shows just how long that stuff has been in my safe
Old June 3, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
davery25

That's awesome Jo6pak,

The swedish mauser is my favourite rifle through and through. everything about it is gorgeous and i wish they'd make them again with modern steel and with gas venting built into the bolt.

If they did that it'd be my perfect rifle. Good shootin! that prickskytte ammo is impossible to find round my end of the world (Australia)
Old June 3, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3
troopcom

Looks like a good group! Good shooting!
Old June 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #4
gyvel

Not to be the wet blanket, but are you sure two weeks is long enough for your lenses to heal?
Old June 4, 2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Jo6pak

Yup, I asked my doctor about it. He said a week to 10 days after the surgery the eye would be healed enough to shoot a bit. Sunday was day 17.

The eyes are healed, but take about a month to "settle" (as he put it.) I have to go in a few weeks to have a new prescripion figured.

@davery25 The prickskytte surplus ammo also dried up in these parts many years ago. That box has probably been in my safe since the late 1990s.