The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2010, 01:43 PM   #26
Claude Clay

and now for something completely different---

get the dillion 550 and a lee 4 hole

the lee to develope loads and to make small runs like
32acp, 38 S&W 44 mag......
the dillion for ammo by the 1000's like 9mm, 45acp.....

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old April 13, 2010, 02:30 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

In my experience, the Load Master really doesn't work.

And I AM a fan of Lee products.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:08 PM   #28
epr105

I started with a lee reloading kit in 1994 in 1996 I got the dillion 550b. By 2000 most of the lee stuff was beyond repair. I still have the press it sits in a corner of the basement broken. I may someday order the part to repair the broken one. I did load a lot of ammo with it but, I loaded a lot more with the dillion and I still do! I still have the little lee scale and even though I have other scales I still use it.
Now my advice get what you can afford!
Old April 13, 2010, 10:31 PM   #29
palabman

I just set up a Lee Classic Turret press a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you, it is great. I don't shoot enough to justify a progressive and I like the fact that you can still use it as a single stage. I purchased enough turret heads to handle all the calibers I load so swapping out is a breeze. So as a previous poster already mentioned, depending on how much you shoot don't forget about the Classic.

BTW... Cabelas has the kit for around $210
Old April 14, 2010, 06:10 AM   #30
Headgear

I said earlier that I love my 650 but one thing that is a problem for me is the cost. I would like to reload several other pistol rounds but haven't gotten around to it because the conversion cost is so high. To make the conversion easy, you have to get a toll head, tool head stand, dies, powder charge alarm, powder measure, shell plate, possibly priming and case feed parts. We're talking somewhere between $300.00 to $500.00. The way I see it, thats almost another service grade Garand.

It's not so bad once you're loading similar sized calibers. For instance, if you are loading 9mm and want to convert to 223, the priming system is small for both so that helps a little and you don't have to change the powder measure but it makes converting a lot smoother. There are a couple of other things that I mentioned above that can be taken off of one tool head and installed on the second but it takes a lot longer. The powder measure, powder charge alarm and some other things could be taken off, reinstalled on another tool head and readjusted for the new caliber. You are better off getting all new ones and having them all installed on a separate tool head and adjusted for one specific caliber. That way, all you do is pull two pins, swap out the tool head and you are finished with that portion of the conversion. The rest of the conversion is easy and quick but it's just not cheap to do it that way.

Keep that in mind. The investment into a blue press doesn't necessarily end with buying the press.

Good luck!
Old April 14, 2010, 07:35 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I just set up a Lee Classic Turret press a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you, it is great."

Absolutely agree. I've said that the Classic Turret is the press that Lee should have brought out 25 years ago.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:31 AM   #32
Nate1778

I use a Loadmaster and it works for me, with the internet help videos and being mechanically inclined it was an easy press to get to know.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:35 AM   #33
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I purchased enough turret heads to handle all the calibers I load so swapping out is a breeze.
I have a Classic Turret Press on order, along with extra turrets for all of my calibers. My question is this - I know that the loaded turrets are designed to fit in the round Lee die boxes, but all of my Lee die sets came in the flat rectangular boxes, rather than the round containers. Is there any way to buy empty round storage containers to hold the loaded turrets?

Thanks,
Scott
Old April 14, 2010, 11:30 AM   #34
sonick808

another classic turret disciple here. they are the business.

I would be interested in some round boxes as well for my loaded turrets, as Scott said.

I haven't looked that hard or called Lee yet to see if they sell the empty round die containers. I may just make a rack for them; a couple slabs of mdf and a hole saw would be a good start.....
Old April 14, 2010, 11:40 AM   #35
ScottRiqui

I don't know why I didn't think to just call Lee. I spoke to Kathy, and they have the empty round die boxes for sale on their website for $3.98 each plus $4 shipping per order. The part number is 90535.

For the three-hole turrets, the turret will drop right into the box. For the four-hole turrets, Kathy said that you need turn the base of the box upside-down for the turret to fit in the case.
Old April 14, 2010, 11:44 AM   #36
sonick808

score! Thanks for checking up on this
Old April 14, 2010, 03:21 PM   #37
Krieger9

counter experience

My experience with my load master was as noted largely except....

Primers, I had to sand (ever so slightly, ever so fine) the plastic chute but after that I've never had a primer stick more than 1 per 100. I've have lost 3 out of my last 800 primers. Don't let it get down to < 3 primers in the chute.

I got a perfect powder measure with mine, not the Auto Disk. I haven't used the auto disk but you can certainly fine tune the other...although it takes some getting used to to do so quickly.

I didn't use mine pregressively for quite some time, but I sure am glad I started with it, so I didn't have to upgrade. I get attached.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:53 PM   #38
wxl

I used a Lee turret until last fall. I purchased round containers I believe from Midway (maybe Natchez). 90% of stuff comes from those 2.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:56 PM   #39
Tacoma

I'm a fan of Lee products for the main reason that they pay for themselves quickly while still making excellent ammo. That said, the Load Master has a bad reputation for reliability. ( Likely the lowest of all Lee products if you read owners reviews.) the Dillon 550/650 is a WAY better press but will take a LONG time to pay off if you don't shoot hundreds of rounds a week.
IMHO, if your getting started , go wit a Lee Classic Turret. It's a good mix of quality, speed and control and a price that will make reloading worth while fast.