The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 5, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1
Brian41

CCW tactics books?

I am interested in finding some books on concealed cary tactics. I've never read anything other than websites and magazines, and i would like to have a little more info, and i'm sure its out there, i just dont know where to look.

thanks
Old November 5, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2
No4Mk1

Not certain precisely what you mean by CCW "tactics", but the following are some pretty good places to start:

Ayoob - In the Gravest Extreme - Good general advice on what to consider about being prepared to use deadly force to defend your life.

Chris Bird - The Concealed Handgun Manual - Have not read this myself, but have heard good things from others.

Also, type "Concealed Handgun" into the search line at Amazon and you will get a lot of hits.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old November 6, 2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Barry in IN

Here are some of my favorites-

"Fighting Smarter"- Tom Givens (Rangemaster)
"Tactical Reality"- Louis Awerbuck (Yavapai Firearms Academy)
"More Tactical Reality"- Louis Awerbuck
"Principles of Personal Defense"- Jeff Cooper (Gunsite/API)

"Fighting Smarter" is probably the "most rounded". It covers subjects like- knowing your potential enemy, shooting skills, carry methods, mindset, etc. And unlike most catch-all books, it does it pretty thoroughly.
The bad news is that it may be hard to find now. I got the last copy Rangemaster had earlier this year, and was told there were no plans for another printing.

Louis Awerbuck's books are my favorite, but they don't cover as broad an area. They are centered around mindset and skills. Both books are collections of his "Training and Tactics" column from S.W.A.T. magazine. After reading his work, you may question many things you have always read or heard about how to train or practice.

"Principles" is a small book, around 44 or 45 pages, and is about how to think and act in a defensive manner, regardless of being armed or not.