The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 28, 2012, 01:35 AM   #1
05kas05

new bipod which one

i have a ruger scout rifle and also a little savage 22 i would like to put a bipod on. does anyone have a suggestion for a decent lightweight bipod that also might be easy on easy off so i could switch it from one to the other to see if i actually like it or not. any thoughts or opinions are appreciated
Old December 28, 2012, 02:35 AM   #2
mete

Does it have to be connected to the rifle ? I have a Stoney Creek bipod which is not connected. It's very light ,easily adjusted .I have the longest one suitable for standing.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:40 AM   #3
stevelyn

The easiest to take on and off are the ones made to mount up to a rail. Obviously that isn't an option with a Ruger Scout or Savage .22.

If you are going to spend the money, a Harris is your best bet. They are durable and lightweight. They mount to the the sling swivel stud.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:54 AM   #4
angel71rs

Is that Ruger new? If so consider using the Ruger discount to buy the one they offer on shopruger.com. 25ish. I did that when I got my American rifle, happy with it. Uses hooks and a thumbscrew to mount on sling stud. Easy on/off. Search for my American review in this section for more info.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #5
BerdanSS

I've tried many bi-pods. I always come back to the harris. The last one I bought was a Harris BRMS (bench rest swivel base) has 6-9" spring loaded notched legs and...of course a lockable swiveling base...Best one I've ever had, even being a BR model the length is perfect, very compact. Off a bench, prone, sitting with it on a rock or log, perfect length.

Harris BRMS on my Mod O
Old December 29, 2012, 01:41 AM   #6
DATL

Scout rifle bipod

I went with a Caldwell 6-9" bipod on my Ruger Gunsite Scout. Admittedly I didn't do TON of research on bipods before I got mine. I just went to Walmart and saw the Blackhawk ones, and compared it to this Caldwell one at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I was totally surprised by how easy this thing is to put on and take off! It attaches on to the sling swivel stud and you just turn one knob to tighten it down. It's really sturdy, and it weighs 12 Oz. I think I paid $30 something for it.

Old December 29, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
05kas05

I changed my mind I think Im Going To shoot Them as is for now and get use to the rifle and better myself as a shooter first then if need be i will definitely look in to those recommended.
Thanks for the help it is appreciated.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:54 PM   #8
trg42wraglefragle

I really don't like knock off versions of Harris Bipods, they look so cluttered and not well made.
I'm not even a huge fan of Harris ones ad they look cluttered.

I have a Versa-Pod Bipod like this:

http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com..._1-342x390.jpg

I really like it, seconds to remove and quick to adjust.
It can swivel in all directions, but is still very stable to shoot off, it doesn't seem like it would be stable but it is.

I like that I can remove it for carrying the gun and shooting off hand, but can put it on in seconds if I keep it handy.

Just my 2 cents.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
If you are going to spend the money, a Harris is your best bet. They are durable and lightweight. They mount to the the sling swivel stud.
+1. Expensive but well worth the money.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:24 AM   #10
Amsdorf

I have a Harris, but after doing quite a bit of research/reading etc. I settled on an Atlas. They are incredible and frankly...yes...in this case you do get what you pay for.

Here's a little video I made on the Atlas.

VIDEO.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
SnowTrekker

I have used a Harris on my rifles and found them to be an excellent quality bipod. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:23 PM   #12
tobnpr

It's helpful to determine the adjustment range you need for a natural shooting position- where/how you normally shoot.

Harris is the best known, and reasonably priced on the market. I have also purchased several of their Wally World Winchester knock-offs and have no complaints about them- all being mounted on large caliber centerfires.

I recently bought a Blackhawk Sportster, pivot and traverse. Really pleased with the features for a price still less than a "standard" Harris.

Being able to make slight (or not so slight) adjustments to the rifle without moving the bipod's legs is a big plus. I can make ever so slight adjustments to get the rifle level (while looking at the anti-cant level), re-acquire faster with the pivot feature. I'll be buying more.

Whichever you choose, know whether the 6"-9" or 9"- 13" or so best fits where and how you shoot. Shooting prone with a 6"-9" for me was a non-starter, I'm a pretty big guy and it required me to get my head too close to the ground- with my neck at a very uncomfortable angle. OTHO, if you shoot bench only, depends on the height of the bench, and your size again, as to the optimal bipod height adjustment range.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
TheBear

harris