The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 2, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
FrosSsT

Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua Mag

Anyone own a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua Mag or had the chance to take one for a test drive? How do they perform all around? Any troubles/concerns?
Old July 5, 2012, 07:16 PM   #2
FrosSsT

Going once...twice...
Old July 7, 2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Bart B.

Unless one has developed the skills to shoot heavy recoiling rifles accurately when fired while holding one to their shoulder, jumping into the .338 Lapua Mag pond will usually be a disappointment. Even 15-pound ones have enough recoil while the bullet goes down the barrel to cause accurate shooting difficulties with even the best long range shooters.

A recent test of several cartridges under test for military sniper use had the .300 Win. Mag. outscoring the .338 Lapua Mag. and others through 1500 yards in the accuracy tests. Several top long range folks tested the rifles. But the US Army had a penchant for the .338 LM and chose it over the .300 Win. Mag. that outperformed it. Go figure.

But the 30 caliber magnums of yesteryear that did so well in 1000-yard prone matches gave way to the 6.5-.284's milder recoil as soon as good 26 caliber heavy match bullets were available in the late 1990's. The big 30's are still popular in long range benchrest matches where they're fired in free recoil virtually untouched by us humans.
Old July 7, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
FrosSsT

Thanks Bart - However I know about the cartridge I'm looking for info on the Savage.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:39 AM   #5
tulsamal

Based totally on what I've read... it's a very desirable rifle. I had actually saved up enough money to buy one myself. Just kept logging onto Bud's and looking at it. Just couldn't quite push the Buy button. Then a great deal popped up in the Ruger Classified ads and cleared out half the money. So I still don't own one. But it's hard to look at one and compare them to the competition and conclude that they are anything other than a heck of a good deal.

And personally... I was looking forward to reloading that big cartridge whether it is really practical or not!

Gregg
Old July 8, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
sc928porsche

Personally, I find that rifles with recoil that is heavier than the 300WM are the best canidates for a muzzle brake.
Old July 10, 2012, 03:48 PM   #7
tobnpr

Quote:
Personally, I find that rifles with recoil that is heavier than the 300WM are the best canidates for a muzzle brake.
Why?

I want to brake all our long-range rifles- 7-08, .308, .260, and 7.62 x 54R- just so we can try to spot our own hits on steel at 600 and 1000 yards.

Minimizing muzzle jump can eliminate the need for a spotter. It's not just about reducing recoil.

To the OP...

I've seen several at the range, most recently two days ago. Guy had one (and a CZ750) that he was doing load development for. Didn't get too much into specifics, but he said he liked the rifle, and so far he had it printing 1", 3-shot groups at 200 with H1000.

I didn't ask to shoot it (though I thought about it!), but recoil didn't seem too punishing to him. While the concussion was certainly noticeable two benches down where I was sitting, it was bearable- not nearly as disconcerting as trying to be anywhere near the .50's that frequent there.

Last edited by tobnpr; July 10, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:04 PM   #8
6Gunslinger6

Love the Rifle

Savage has a muzzle brake that works well, the people to the left and right feel the effects much more than the shooter. The 1 in 9 twist takes a heavey bullet to the 1000 yard target without trouble.. My scope is a 8 /32 powered Nightforce. I couldn't see putting poor glass on a rifle that shoots so well.
Old July 11, 2012, 01:12 AM   #9
snowmachiner1

the 110 handles like a dream, low recoil granted that the gun its self also weighs 16lbs. I have a friend that has the hs and the muzzle break on the ba is alot more effective in my opinion. the only down fall i have noticed is that hornady factory ammo will NOT work in that rifle
Old August 6, 2012, 08:38 PM   #10
splatman

I have a Savage 110 BA in 338 LM. A couple of things I can say about this gun.
First this gun is heavy and well built and solid. The gun is actually a blast to shoot as it is like shooting a canon without the recoil. As this gun is very heavy
don't plan on climbing mountains on an elk hunt with it you will only end up killing yourself. To carry the gun on the open plains to hunt coyote or antelope is plausible. Also you really have to load your own ammo because factory ammo is too expensive at least for me. If you like to shoot quantity as opposed to quality it can get expensive. I have a Leupold Mark IV 8.5 x 25 on it. I am still in the process of doing load development but this gun is difficult to tame. Three shot groups at 1 MOA is possible and 5 shot groups of 1 MOA is difficult at 100 yards. At this point I do not have a load to recommend but I do have my own theories as to why this gun is hard to tame. First the shock wave being generated is tremendous and thus may impede the accuracy of the rifle. Also I have noticed that the 4th and 5th shot from a string of a 5 shot group are usually flyers and break from the first group of 3. My theory on this is that the barrel is heating up too much
so be sure and let the barrel cool to tighten the group. Just loaded some test ammo using H870 and will let you know how it goes. Anything else I can answer about this gun let me know.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:47 PM   #11
RamItOne

Just recently started drooling over this rifle

Bart has a good point for the .300 win mag, just lacks a lot of KE

.308 win

.300 win mag

.338 lapua
Old August 7, 2012, 11:56 AM   #12
taylorce1

RamItOne,

I don't know why you chose 150 grain bullets for the .300, no serious LR shooter is going to run bullets less than 180 grains. With a 200 grain bullet you can stood retain over 1000 ft-lbs of energy at 1000 yards. Nor are very many shooters going to choose a 250 grain bullet over the high BC 300 grain offerings in .338.
Old August 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #13
RamItOne

Well I simply just clicked "best flatness" on the ballistic program. When I have time I'll go back and check for a load more suitable for your needs.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:11 PM   #14
RamItOne

200 gr .300 win mag

Here ya go taylor

Last one I'll put up unless the OP has any specific requests. Kind of a PITA on the iPad.