The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 28, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Hawg

Bubba'd No.1 MKIII

I've got a chopped Lee Enfield that was made in 44. I already know it's not worth much and will be worth even less when I'm done with it. The odd thing (to me anyway) is it has a four digit serial number. Any thoughts on that?
Yeah, it's been painted

It doesnt show clearly but it says England.

There's three initials under the scratched spot.
Old July 28, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
gyvel

You have a WW II "Dispersal Scheme" rifle. If it hasn't been chopped up, leave it alone. It is a scarcer variation of a Lee Enfield. If the wood has been cut, but not the metal, it would be worth your while to restore it.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Hawg

The wood has been cut. The serial number on the bolt matches. The nose cap is gone.

Old July 28, 2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Hawg

I posted this in another forum and here's what one guy said.

numbers match up to King's own Highlanders Regiment November 44
but i think this one was issued to the Ghurkha's who where part of the highlanders ( 1 battalion of 600 Ghurkha's )

theres a note that "custom short versions" where requested in 43 for the Ghurkha who are of a smaller stature than the average British soldier...

outted from inventory at Salisbury on 26 (28th maybe )th april 1954

the proof house stamp certifying it serviceable before transfer and the date of 1953 before being marked out of service ( '54 according to the book which is about right )

crown over BNP is Birmingham proof house stamp the mark to its left is the nitro proof stamp

not found on mil rifles this one was obviously being marked for disposal to civilians and was being marked to comply , Australian LE and Indian ones did not do this ...
Old July 28, 2011, 04:59 PM   #5
macsters

yah....definitely don't cut that one up. just from what i have heard so far, that is the conclusion i have drawn.

go buy a rack grade for dirt money and cut IT up.
Old July 28, 2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Hawg

I was going to get a sporter stock and change the sights. It won't ever be fully original again without the original nose cap but I guess I'll just leave the sights and maybe go ahead and put it in a decent stock. I got it for dirt cheap or I wouldn't have even fooled with it.
Old July 28, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7
gyvel

I can see that it would have to be restocked, and nosecaps are available without numbers.
Old July 28, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Hawg

Wondering how hard it would be to get a stock with the proper markings.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:00 PM   #9
tater134

Quote:
Wondering how hard it would be to get a stock with the proper markings.
A proper British stock might be tough to find but Indian stock sets for the mk3 that were taken off of drill rifles are easily obtainable. They're usually around $50-$70 and while they aren't correct they'll at least get the rifle back to the way its supposed to look. The one I purchased to restore by 1941 Lithgow came with all metal parts (barrel band, nosecap, swivels, etc). I agree with the above posters that this one should be restored since dispersal rifles don't seem to be very common.
Old July 29, 2011, 07:38 AM   #10
Hawg

Now the big question is is it Dispersal or Ghurkha?
Old July 29, 2011, 04:55 PM   #11
DG45

Can't help you with your questions HH but I sure like the sleek looking bolt action rifle on the rack below the Enfield. Looks a lot like the Spanish Mauser I used to drool over in the gun ads back in the late 1950's that I never could afford because all my money went on wheels and girls. What is it, and what caliber cartridge does it shoot, or is it just a wall hanger?
Old July 29, 2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Hawg

It's a Spanish 7MM. Shoots really good. I use it for a truck gun during deer season.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:00 PM   #13
krinko

Hawg,
I sure would like the name of the website that offered you this moonshine explanation of the marks on your rifle.

1."numbers match up to King's own Highlanders Regiment November 44..."

What numbers? The serial number? There is absolutely no way to tie a rifle to a specific unit in the British Army by serial number.

2."...but i think this one was issued to the Ghurkha's who where part of the highlanders ( 1 battalion of 600 Ghurkha's )"

Why does he think that?

3."theres a note that "custom short versions" where requested in 43 for the Ghurkha who are of a smaller stature than the average British soldier..."

There are four lengths of buttstocks for No1 rifles (L) Long, (no mark) Regular, (S) Short and (B) Bantam---but these Bantams do not guarantee Gurkha use, as many Brits were quite small as well.

4."crown over BNP is Birmingham proof house stamp the mark to its left is the nitro proof stamp"

Crown over BNP is "Birmingham Nitro Proof" and is required on all military arms sold into the civilian market. The mark to the left of that is "Crown over GR over crossed pennants", the Military Proof put on the rifle at it's 1944 rebuild.

5."... the date of 1953 before being marked out of service"

Marked out of service? Where is he seeing a Sold Out Of Service mark?
The 1953 date is part of the mark pictured below. "FTR" is Factory Thorough Repair" and has been scratched out on your rifle.

What you actually have:
Your rifle has had three lives, at least.
As rifle "A 763" until 1944.
As a 1944 Dispersal rifle---the '44s are all rebuilds.
As a rifle FTR'd at BSA in 1953 and sent into war reserve.

Here are my three '44s---

Top one is the '53 FTR, middle is one that went out to some colony and stayed there until imported into the US, bottom is an "as issued" '44 that came to the US prior to 1968.

Proper wood for these is WW2 dated Beech furniture or the even harder to find '53ish BSA stuff.
Good luck.
-----krinko
Old August 2, 2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Hawg

Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=92639