The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
rbf420

trouble with lee dies

im using the lee 30 06 die and the decapper seems to not be working. then die is screwed in enough but for some reason it is still not taking out the primer, and suggestions?
Old August 1, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
W. C. Quantrill

Yes, turn down the decapper rod till the pin protrudes the amount specified on your instruction sheet. The pin has to protrude past the length of the inserted case.
Old August 4, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3
PCJim

Lee dies have a unique design in that the decapper pin mandrel is held by a collet. If you run a case into the die with a berdan primer or an obstruction, the collet allows the mandrel to slide in the collet, thus saving the decapper pin. When this happens, you will note the mandrel will prutrude much higher above the top of the die.

It may be that this has happened to your die. If so, you will see the mandrel raised appx. 3/8" or more above the rest of the die. Use a couple of wrenches, loosen the set and move the mandrel back into the die so that it fits flush across the top, then tighten securely.
Old August 4, 2009, 12:57 PM   #4
rbf420

i think most of the problem is i havent been able to entirely bolt down the press. though as for decapping 9mm its a breeze compared to the 30 06 which made me wonder if its was the die. even if it was bolted down the sheer amount of pressure seems absurd. though thats is my own newbie thought and could be entirely wrong. thanks for the help!!
Old August 4, 2009, 06:56 PM   #5
rrp

30-06

Just make sure that you are using enough lube on your cases. The 30-06 will take quite abit more muscle to resize than your 9mm. It would help to have the press bolted tight to your bench also. Good luck and have fun.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:20 PM   #6
wncchester

"...decapping 9mm its a breeze compared to the 30 06 which made me wonder if its was the die."

"Decapping" really means resizing. A close examination of the two will reveal that the -06 is a MUCH larger case!
Old August 4, 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I'm wondering if, on top of sizing the larger case, he has once-fired military brass? Military Boxer primed brass has crimped primers that sometimes don't come out even when the decapper pin is set up pretty far past the bottom of the case head. They stretch instead. Not as easy to knock out. Using a separate Lee Universal Decapper die helps with those. Also, be sure you don't have Berdan primed military brass that your poor decapping pin is trying to redesign. That usually breaks the pin, but not always. You can tell a Berdan primed case by looking down inside with a flashlight and you will see two small flashholes either side of center instead of a large one in the center as a Boxer primer case has. Berdan primed cases are not really reloadable with currently available supplies.

At the same time, they are not as hard to knock out as the case is to resize. The sizing die will be steel and not carbide like the pistol, and will require good lubrication. If the Lee white lubrication isn't making it easy enough, drop a buck and a half at Walmart for a blue bottle of STP Oil Treatment and wipe that onto the outsides of your '06 cases with your finger. The sizing should get easier.

The press not being bolted down could make sizing the rifle cases nearly impossible. Bolt it to a thick piece of plywood, then clamp the plywood to a bench or table with big C-clamps or with Kwik-Grip clamps if you don't have a permanent loading bench.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; August 4, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:33 PM   #8
QBall45

Big thing is to make that press solid.

Lube inside the case neck.

Besure the pin is almost flush with the top nut.

Do all three and your life will be easier.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:38 AM   #9
rbf420

yea the cases are winchester and remmington.
Old August 5, 2009, 08:45 AM   #10
wncchester

You can lather a layer of case lube inside a neck without doing a thing for the ease of resizing. That ONLY helps in with drawing the expander plug after sizing is completed.
Old August 5, 2009, 08:54 AM   #11
a7mmnut

I've used those dies for years. If you bought the RGB die set, be careful of putting too much pressure on those cheap plastic followers and caps on some of their decapping and seating dies. I once shot the house light out over my head with a failed seating die making .308 compressed charge loads. Whew! Talk about cleaning your pants out!? Check to also make sure you haven't already broken the end of the plunger off. It should be smooth and round on the end. If it feels flat and sharp, it's probably been broken, and already too short to use any longer.

-7-