The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 25, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
mesabi

Grab and go bag

Hi, anyone have one of these rigs? Just read a quick overview about it in GUNS magazine. Looked it up online and it had a few reviews. Any comments on materials used, craftsmanship, durability?

I would prefer the snaps over velcro. I have lost faith in the durability of velcro in the last 7 months.

Thanks all.
Old November 26, 2009, 02:01 AM   #2
jgcoastie

Any ol' duffle bag will work... Stuff the essentials inside and leave it it an easily accessable (but semi-secure) area of your home, your bedroom closet for example.

Include the basics. Water, MRE's, first aid kit (quality trauma kit, not the band-aid kits from wallyworld), spare ammo, cash, toilet paper.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 26, 2009, 02:13 AM   #3
sholling

I keep a Camelbak Commander for a bug out bag (BOB). It's easy to toss in the car or use as a pack (which it is). The bladder holds 100oz of water. I keep this one in my bedroom closet (dry) with 3 days of food, changes of socks and shorts, a change of pants and shirt, cash, 1st aid kit, prescription drugs for a week (rotated regularly) and spare ammo. I've been thinking that someday I'd add a folding carbine like a Keltec SA16CA. Not the spiffiest of rifles but it will fit in the pack.

I also keep a QuakeHold Grab-N-Go kit in my car at all times. If you have kids I'd keep more than one. It's a very-very small kit but I've found enough room in it to add more water, a few extra chem lights, a couple of chemical pocket warmers, a small flashlight and 2 changes of batteries, and 1 spare cell phone battery. It's so small that you'll never be tempted to take it out of the car. I highly recommend it for the car but it's too small and limited to be a full scale BOB. However it will get you by if caught away from home or if stranded someplace.

EDIT: I also keep a Blackhawk rifle bandoleer with with my BOB. I like it because it has room for 4x30rd spare AR15 or Mini-14 magazines plus 2 double stack pistol magazines without sticking out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by sholling; November 26, 2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added the Blackhawk bandoleer
Old November 26, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Superhouse 15

Do you want a bag to carry a bunch of stuff, or just one to hold magazines. I have one from here, worth the wait:
http://olongapooutfitters.com/index....d&productId=37
and more on order.

Like it says on the site, it's like the bag the Minuteman would use to hold powder and shot next to the musket.

For a carry-a-bunch-of-stuff bag I just use an old range bag. I got it from the local Army-Navy surplus store.