The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old August 4, 2009, 10:01 PM   #51
Topstrap1

I didn't post that picture of the 10 shot group to urge you to go out and try it and expect that all the time. But more to show you what can be done with a revolver at long distances to create a Wow look at what can be done. That is after shooting many many thousands of rounds downrange shooting metallic silhouette for many years and with a high quality revolver. You could put up something as simple as a paper plate at 50 yards and work at getting them all in the center of that first, then move on out to 75 or 100 yards and beyond.

If you already have good technique and can keep all your hits in a decent group at 50 or 100 then by all means try the 200 yard targets. Your unmagnified dot should still be sufficient to use out to 200 but just be a bit harder to keep as tight a groups as a scope might give you. I've never had very good luck with using Unique for longer range shooting and 7 grains is even below what Hornady shows for starting loads with a 240. You'll prob not have very good accuracy at those longer distances. The factory rounds should do a lot better for you. If you would sight it in to be about 6 inches high at 50 yards (which would be about foot hold on a silhouette chicken) you should be about about 7 inches hight at 100 (which would be about a belly hold on a pig) and be dead on at 175 (which would be the turkeys) and then be about 10 inches low at 200 (which would be about horn height on a Ram). A lot of silhouetters used this hold if they didn't want to change their sights or were using a scope. You might try it with factory or reloads that duplicate factory loads. When you start dinging those long range targets you'll find that you might start to draw a crowd to watch ya.

Good luck, hopefully they'll let you shoot at the longer distances.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap1; August 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:53 PM   #52
Slamfire

Quote:
I don't want a hot load, I want a flaming hot super heavy load.
You need to join the Artillery. They make big boom, boom, long time.

Incidentally the biggest boom I heard at the range was with a replica Civil War Mortar. And it was not full sized. Huge boom, I thought the sky was falling down.

You need one.

The biggest booms I have gotten out of magnum handguns were with light bullets , magnum powders and short barrels. When half of the load burns outside the barrel, you get these wonderful fireballs.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:04 PM   #53
Farmland

Hard crowd on this thread. Personally I don't enjoy shooting beside one of those booming flame throwers.

I would have no idea how to get your load to make that great boom and spit fire & brimstone that you want. However I think working a load up and keeping it no higher than the published max load would give you something near what you are looking for. I guess you could try using light or heavy bullets, not sure which would work the best.

Those load though just beat the heck out of my hand and arm for no good reason. They can be pretty hard on the gun too.

But if you do experiment keep with in the published load data out there and I would not experiment outside of that information. I can tell you from personal experience loading a little extra heavy can be painful. I got one of those booms and fire & brimstone by accident. Gun broken, lucky not destroyed, burns on the hand and even with ear plugs it was loud. However it mad a big boom and fire even if just for one shot. In my case I had made a mistake and had a serious over load.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:34 PM   #54
zxcvbob

Quote:
Incidentally the biggest boom I heard at the range was with a replica Civil War Mortar. And it was not full sized. Huge boom, I thought the sky was falling down.
That's because they were shooting blackpowder (mentioned several times already but nobody thinks we're serious)
Old August 5, 2009, 03:28 PM   #55
AlaskaMike

Quote:
That's because they were shooting blackpowder (mentioned several times already but nobody thinks we're serious)
Yep, in fact this whole thread has been about discussed to death, but everybody seems to be reading only the original post and no further before replying.

Myself and a couple of others have posted safe load info using light bullets and slow powder, in addition to the blackpowder recommendations. It's been mentioned several times that the OP started by looking in his Sierra manual but these guys don't want to be bothered reading the whole thread before they start shouting.

Quote:
Sorry Mike, I have to disagree here. To me this sounds to me like " I have the manuals, but for a huge flame and aloud boom I am willing to try any suggestions"
To me it sounded more like "I have the manuals but I wanted to see if anyone's done this before and has any tips for me before I go ahead and try it."

Quote:
This is a recipe for trouble, and at the end of the day, our comments will never dent anything other than his ego.
I haven't seen any evidence from his posts of any ego whatsoever. In fact he seems to have completely overlooked the sarcasm and ridicule that's been directed at him so far. That indicates to me a level of maturity far above that of many of those who've posted here so far.

Mike
Old August 5, 2009, 10:14 PM   #56
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Enough, now

Perhaps it was ill-advised to allow this topic to go this far. It was perhaps a bit juvenile, but so long as individuals were advising to stick within published load data, it seemed mostly okay. I've deleted those that seemed to suggest over max loads.

Thanks to those who counseled staying with sane, published data.

Now, some people are getting snippy with one another. Let's get back to being at least partly serious.

CLOSED

Johnny Guest
TFL Staff
Closed Thread