The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2023, 02:39 PM   #1
old fart

Questions on new Maverick 88's

I am gonna get another Maveriick 88 security 18.5 inch barrel, I have saved enough for even a 590 but I decided on another 88 and more ammo. I went to my local store and saw a few 88's that however leave me with a few question as all 4 were new but different and with a few same flaws. Two had the swivel stud molded in the stock and two had the hole drilled in the stock for a metal stud if a person wanted to put one in. Also the stocks did not sit exactly even on the receiver as the stocks were either farther over to one side or raised up above the receiver. I would have to loosen any of them and straighten that as they were not very good at the stock receiver fit. Everything else including working them was good and smooth. My question is are the 88's made with different stocks?, is the molded swivel stud durable?, and is the bad fit normal at times? My last 88 I bought, the stock came loose after shooting slugs and I retightened it and it has not loosened up since. For those that may ask, they did have a 590 tactical and it was as I could see perfect in fit, finish, and function. thanks
Old June 10, 2023, 03:52 PM   #2
old fart

Thought I would update. I got a call this morning from my local shop, an 88 they had ordered came in. They said it was 18.5 inch barrel and had perfect stock to receiver fit. I went and they brought the box out and I pushed the plastic back and yep perfect stock to receiver fit. I asked how much and said $200 out the door since I do most my trading there. I said hand me the paperwork and I came home, had some yard work to do and finally done so I decided to clean my new gun and put it away till I could shoot it. I opened the box all the way and dang it was a 20" barrel 7 shot mag tube, it did however have swivel studs on the stock and magazine cap. I can't go back today as they close early on Saturday and won't be open till Monday. But now comes a new question, how does the 20" barrel compare to the 18.5? What would y'all do if this happened to you? Never owned a 20" or a long tube either, gun will be used for home defense and deer hunting and deer regs says I can have up to 10 rounds in mag so the mag tube isn't a problem on that. Thanks for any help.
Old June 11, 2023, 11:05 AM   #3
L-2

For your deer-hunting purpose, I suspect the 20" barrel, 7-round mag tube will be fine.
If you really find you don't like it, order a 18.5" shotgun also.

If it was me, I'd be upset with both the shop and mainly myself, but I'm fairly familiar with the looks of a 20" Mossberg or Maverick and I likely would have noticed while in the store.

I actually pointed out a 20" barreled Mossberg which was erroneously tagged with an 18.5" description at one of my local gun stores, once.

Me?
I used to be issued 20" barrel-length Mossberg 590A1 shotguns.
I bought an 18.5" barreled 590A1 and like it a lot.
I was later issued 14" barreled 590A1 guns and really like the shorter barrel, but I don't deer hunt and the mag tube capacity is less in either the 18.5" or 14" guns, if that's of concern. I also prefer ghost ring or iron sights on my shotguns, but can and have used just bead sights.

It's good to have multiple shotguns available. Order another shotgun. I like this one:
https://www.mossberg.com/590a1-m-lok-50765.html

or

https://www.mossberg.com/590a1-class...hot-51689.html
Old June 11, 2023, 05:18 PM   #4
old fart

I have decided to take it back tomorrow, I have another 18.5 and just want the same in case I decide to add barrels or when small game hunting I have plenty of mag plugs for the 5+1. The gun is nice but I just like the look of the 18.5. thanks
Old June 12, 2023, 12:39 AM   #5
bamaranger

do?

Sounds like the OP has made up his mind, but here's what I was thinking....

I'd keep the gun, the price out the door sounds like a deal to me in this day and time and I would be reluctant to turn my back on it. Regards 20" v. 18.5, for a gun intended for SD/HD, used largely in a fixed, defensive setting as in down the hall or across the garage, I don't see much difference, and the added ammo in the tube would be a comfort. I was always a proponent of an 18" gun (w/ mag extension) for patrol, the 2" shorter tube seemed easier to exit a patrol rig or negotiate around hallways/doorways or other personnel more easily.

Concerning magazine capacity, I always thought the 4+1 standard capacity of the Rem 870 was a drawback, and advocated mag extensions for patrol shotguns. The Mossberg with it's 5+1 capacity at least had as many rounds as your revolver (yes, I'm that old). The 20" Mossberg discussed at 7+1 would be a comfort if you had to fight w/ it and not tote it any distance.
But in a hunting gun, I would not want anything to do with a magazine extension, it adds weight and bulk which you need to carry afield. Additionally, a Mossberg with standard 5+1 mag tube can easily accept a longer sporting barrel with choke tubes if desired. The security models are limited to their fixed IC or CYL chokes, unless one is willing to dismount the extended tube and install a standard tube when one wants to use a sporting barrel to hunt with fine shot for small game.
Old June 15, 2023, 12:27 AM   #6
old fart

I went and got my 18.5 Maverick 88 security today, came in after just two days. Everything is great on it but I noticed something on it as I also did the 20" barrel. At the end of the barrel on both, it was rough to where a Q-tip would snag, blued good but rough on the one I took back and this one. The date on the box was the same for both, 4-28-23 so on that day the cutter must have been dull. Can't see looking at it as it looks smooth but a Q -tip will snag on it. It's on the inside edge of the barrel. Gonna shoot it tomorrow and that should smooth it out.
Old December 4, 2023, 07:59 PM   #7
INMY01TA

Congrats on the new shotty. I prefer the 18.5” 590 as you can add a 4.25” tube extension, bringing the barrel flush with the mag tube and also increasing the capacity to 7+1. Same as the 20” 88/500.

My 18.5” 590 with a Choate tube extension:
Old December 20, 2023, 06:03 AM   #8
stuckinthe60s

you get what you pay for.
enjoy your day out.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner