The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 22, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
doofus47

7mm vs 8mm Mauser mag well comparison

Paging all Mauser experts:

I had a fling with 8mm Mausers for a long time. I bought a Czech M98 trigger guard with the wider winter trigger loop to swap with my K98s when I would take them as my back up hunting rifle. I just found it.

As a happy coincidence, I'm considering purchasing a 7mm mauser. Generally, I buy guns that I'm going to use. If I buy a 7mm, I'm going to take it into the woods/field, etc. I'm wondering if the M98 winter trigger guard will fit to a 7mm mag well? Anyone tried this?

Bonus Question: do the later (like 1930's era) South American contract 7mms have the 3rd safety lug that was absent on turn-of-the century spanish 7mm Mausers?
Old November 22, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The answer to your first question is no, the trigger guards are not the same length. The answer to your bonus question is that any Mausers bought new at that period would have had the Model 98 action, and that would include the bolt safety lug and other Model 98 features like the safety type firing pin, the bolt sleeve lock, and the under cut extractor. (The Spanish made the old type rifle into the late 1930's but AFAIK they didn't sell any to South America.)

Jim
Old November 23, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
doofus47

Thanks for the help!