The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 10, 2010, 08:33 AM   #51
threegun

Quote:
The point is that most of the time we need to draw the gun instead of brandishing it and giving away our position and whatever plastic auto shooter we are wielding.

You are not a danger until the perp realizes he has been shot with a Colt SAA drawn faster from the hip than a usual modern concealed or open carry.

We are not in Hollywood or on CSI.
Quote:
No sight picture. No time. The weapon is taken out of the holster and fired into the target. End of conflict. All that is needed is a gun that can be drawn and operated to send the first bullet home.
The OP specifically excluded the single action and its holster.
Old July 10, 2010, 01:52 PM   #52
pythagorean

If the OP does not consider the SA revolver part of the post I missed it.

About carrying a sidearm for defense I have some things to say.

One. Don't.
Two. Use a high powered rifle if you think your life is threatened.
Three. From the holster limited to a handgun all you plastic and auto and DA freaks are totally out of line.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:18 PM   #53
Willie-Boy

Quote:

If the OP does not consider the SA revolver part of the post I missed it.

About carrying a sidearm for defense I have some things to say.

One. Don't.
Three. From the holster limited to a handgun all you plastic and auto and DA freaks are totally out of line.

Thank God! The mighty SAA gunslinger is here to save us all. Just be careful where you go shooting with that antique, the laughter will sour you for life.
Old July 11, 2010, 06:15 AM   #54
shafter

I don't think too many people would be laughing after being hit with a 45 colt slug.
Old July 11, 2010, 04:15 PM   #55
threegun

Quote:
One. Don't.
How about if you feel your life could be threatened? Totally out of line how?

My plastic auto will make you just as dead as that old SAA. Add some concealment clothing to your SAA like we have to deal with from our plastic autos and you will be lucky to equal our speed much less surpass it.
Old July 11, 2010, 04:24 PM   #56
BlueTrain

My reference to single action revolvers and Hollywood holster was meant to indicate I was not referring to the competitive walk and draw Western style events popular in the 1950s and 1960s. I did not mean to suggest that single action revolvers, no more than single action autos are a bad choice for personal defense. There is a photo of a sheriff in the Wikipedia article about sheriffs taken supposedly in 1940. He has a single action revolver, undoubtedly a Colt, that is not being carried in a Hollywood holster. I've even owned about a half-dozen single action revolvers myself, including one genuine Colt, all the rest being imitations and patent infringments.

I'm sure I haven't been Farnumized or Cooperized but I've tried to learn as many pistol systems as I've been able to. My first pistol was a Mauser C96 bought in Germany around 1966 or 1967. My second, bought the same place (and which I may have acquired first) was a Browning HP. I've had about a half dozen or more Colt (or imitations) autos in all sizes and all calibers except .22. I've own most variations of S&W revolvers included a pre-war registered .357 Magnum, plus a number of Colt DA revolvers. And I think I've barely scratched the surface of general handgun knowledge.
Buy War Bonds.