The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

Speer Reloading Manual A little hot?

243 Winchester

Bullet-75 grain
Powder-Varget
Primer- CCI 200,250
Charge 37-41

I reloaded some 75 V-max and I was browsing around a reloading site and I remember reading the max charge for that bullet and powder combo was 38.5. I didn't Think much of it until I went into my reloading room and seen that the 75 V-max that I loaded had a powder charge from 37-41 grains.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Bullet94

My guess - different bullet and different OAL and different gun?
Old April 8, 2008, 03:59 AM   #3
10 Spot Terminator

Speer Reloading Manual A Little Hot ???

Not to worry mon, be hoppy weeth da load

Speer in this case as has been the norm always tends to lean on the cool side . I am using this very same combo for my REM CDL at 41.5 gr and no pressure faults . Some refferences list 42.0 gr. as max load for this bullet with the varget powder, Lee and Speer run on the lower side with Lyman maxing out at 41.0 gr. and Hodgdon lists a 70 gr bullet with a max load of varget at 43.7 as show no 75 gr. bullets in their data then jump to an 80gr. bullet at a max load of 42.0 gr. of varget . As always do the smart thing and start low and work up to be safe an remember you may well miss that sweetheart load lookin for speed . Those varmits have a hard time telling the difference between being hit at 3,300 fps vs. 3,500 fps .
Happy Hunting, 10 Spot
Old April 8, 2008, 01:44 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

You must not own a lyman manual then!

Lyman has some of the hotter loads out there overall, but they are great manuals and the "lawyer loads" that are common in other manuals have not made it into the lyman or speer books.

Personally I use my old load books and only buy new books to compare the new bullets/powders with the old load data on the old bullets/powders.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 8, 2008, 10:49 PM   #5
kirbymagnum

Thanks for the help. I agree with 10 Spot Terminator 100 %, I go for accuracy over velocity any day. I found the sweet spot with that powder and bullet combo with a charge of 39.6 g.
Old April 10, 2008, 01:13 PM   #6
langenc

Interesting just a ways above this thread someone thinks another manual is to 'conservative'????