The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 24, 2011, 08:25 AM   #26
eastbank

a fool and his money are soon parted, i know as i have been parted out of my money lots of times over guns. eastbank.
Old January 24, 2011, 11:16 AM   #27
Series70

As I have said before more than once, thanks to all here for their knowledgeable replies - at least up until the point that projections about my intentions surfaced.

Nonetheless, I'll try one more time:

Does anyone know how much it would likely cost me to get the muzzle crowned?

In humble gratitude, I remain

Yours,

Series70
Old January 24, 2011, 01:14 PM   #28
magnumPi

I understand what you feel about the old gun, sometimes it is about taking something that others have cast aside, and making it live again. Taking a grand little workhorse of a gun, and giving it new life. Instead of simply using 'em up, and casting them aside when their too old and worn, maybe by giving them a second chance, we maintain our ties to all the old shooters who have gone before us.
Well, that's my philosophy anyways
Old January 25, 2011, 12:48 AM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
Does anyone know how much it would likely cost me to get the muzzle crowned?
How bad is the damage?
Old January 25, 2011, 11:25 AM   #30
Series70

How bad is the damage?

Gyvel,

That's a good question, as I'm unqualified to judge. It would appear that the gun was either dropped on its muzzle onto a hard surface or struck with something metallic, resulting in horizontal nicks across its face. At least one such intersects the junction of the crown, and whether this actually creates a raised area in the barrel's path is not clear.

When I asked a local gunsmith about cost he was unwilling to estimate without the gun in his hands. Since I haven't a lot of experience in the cost of re-crowning alone, my question is simply whether it would be more in the neighborhood of tens of dollars or hundreds.

Thanks for your interest.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:07 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

Please don't hold your gunsmith to this, but I would say $25-30 for a normal crowning, no complications. A new barrel will cost over $100.

Jim
Old January 25, 2011, 11:22 PM   #32
Series70

Jim K,

Thank you, Sir. Excellent information which I can use.

This has been wonderfully educational, and my gratitude to all concerned. I'll let you all know when I make a buy, whether it's this gun or another. As I'm sure you've all experienced, the fees demanded for FFL transfers vary widely - in my area quoted from $65 (well over 100 miles away) to $150(!), and that plus shipping would of course be part of the nut for a Gunbrokers- or other- sourced firearm bought other than locally.

Research continues.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:29 AM   #33
gyvel

Quote:
Please don't hold your gunsmith to this, but I would say $25-30 for a normal crowning, no complications. A new barrel will cost over $100.
I would tend to agree with this estimate. If your barrel is the old barrel bushing style, it's a simple matter of chucking it up in a lathe and carefully polishing (or cutting) away the nicks. If the nicks are not that bad, it will be pretty much a simple chamfer job.

If you have the later muzzle end integral barrel lug it is a little more difficult to chuck up in the lathe, so it might tend to be a little bit more.

At any rate, crowning is not going to be in the "hundreds of dollars' category unless your local gunsmith is "on drugs."
Old January 26, 2011, 06:26 AM   #34
rattletrap1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I have both .32 and .380 versions, and have shot neither very much. The .32 keyholes, but is still accurate, even out to 15-20 yards. I got a replacement screw for the safety from Sam Lisker (coltautos.com), maybe twenty years ago, but you might try Gun Parts/Numrich. I carry the .380 occasionally, and do so hammer down on an empty chamber. I'm a lefty, so couldn't easily get to the thumb safety anyway. I've owned the guns for over twenty years, and my dad owned them prior to that, and as far as I know, neither had been fired in my lifetime. I've been cleaning them annually since a kid, so knew they were in good overall condition. Loading up with factory hardball, each gun got through 30-40 rounds without a hitch. Mags are hard to find. Factory mags are expensive - $50-$100 - and aftermarket mags tend to not work very well.
That shouldnt keyhole unless you have crown damage OR the bore is running a bit large. If the crown is ok, slug the barrel and check the size. I shoot (I believe but have to check) 66 grain cast bullets and they shoot quite well. Mine is a .32
Old November 28, 2011, 11:41 PM   #35
Frasier

In my neck of the cornfield, a well worn 1903 goes for about $800. Since every company is making 1911's, any chance someone will start making 1903's in .32 acp again? I found one at a gun show for $300, with "As is" marked on the tag. The dealer could not explain what was wrong with it, so I put it down and walked away.