The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2010, 07:07 AM   #1
dlb435

RCBS AmmoMaster

OK, I just just picked up an RCBS Ammomaster on Ebay. (It was too cheep to pass on) Any one out there have experience with this press? I'm also looking for spare parts if you have any laying around.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Locoweed

Is it already missing parts? If so give RCBS a call and they'll fix you right up. I've been reloading for forty years and have used various and sundry presses and the only part I ever had to replace was the little clip spring that holds the shell holder in. I wouldn't worry about having spare parts on hand.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:19 AM   #3
dlb435

It has a shell plate I can't use; I need a #3 shell plate to start with. The powder measure is missing but I have one on hand. I'm not sure if it will come with the large or small primer feed, extra primer system parts are always a help.
Old July 9, 2010, 11:26 AM   #4
WIL TERRY

I have two ammomasters, a final prototype and a first production model.

BOTH have been superb loading presses.
Old July 20, 2010, 07:20 AM   #5
dlb435

I got the press last week and found that all of the plastic parts were either gone or worn out. I contacted RCBS and they replaced all of the parts I needed for free! Other than a little cleaning, the press looks ready to go. Thanks all for your input.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Lemmon

I bought my AMMO Master many years ago and used it quite alot until I got Married..... Left it out in the garage and it rusted up some. In the last few months I have rebuilt the unit and RCBS was very helpful in replacing damaged parts under their lifetime warranty program. About a month ago I reloaded a 1000 40 S&W rounds. I did disconnect the auto index as I found that it helps to be able to back up sometimes. Remember if backing up not to double charge the case with powder.

I found the new RCBS linkage for the powder measure worth its weight in gold as it is much less complicated than the original system. Depending on the brass being used, I found it is sometimes better to deprime the cases before inserting them into a progressive press. Some of the cheap brass I used were a pain to deprime. Lemmon
Old July 21, 2010, 05:01 PM   #7
dlb435

So far I've just cleaned the thing and tried running it to set the dies. I haven't had any trouble with the powder charge system, seems to work perfectly. I did have to make a small spacer to get the rod at the right height. I ordered the star shaped device to manualy index if I want to.
I plan on setting this one up for large primers and leaving my Dillon set up for small primers. I'll be loading 45 ACP for a start.
Old July 23, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
dlb435

The parts from RCBS came today and I got the press working. It only took a few minutes to install the parts and adjust the machine. I then loaded 100 rounds of 45 ACP.
The only problem I had was with the primer system. I failed to set a couple (my fault) but the machine failed to push a primer out about 4 times. I've learned that you have to watch the primer feed to be sure a primer is in the transfer bar. If you miss a primer then there is powder spill and the machine doesn't like that. Overall, I rate this unit at a B+. I do like the auto index. I find the stroke is a bit long for 45 ACP but for rifle ammo it really takes the effort out of sizing the brass. The powder drop system is a bit odd but I had no trouble with it. Next time I think I will use the Dillon powder system. It will mount and function just fine.