The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
poho1579

made by WHO?

Hi Guys, I was hoping to learn a bit about a newly inherited gun. The most useful info i have found so far got me to YOU. It's a dbl barrell side by side tho tops of the barrels are stamped: "A. GOBIN ARQ R(underlined) Paris" on one and " I08 (or maybe 108) B o(underlined)Magenta" on the other. Marks on the underside of the barrels are "acier cockerill", " AC over JB" in parantheses, choke specs, then "D=65/18.7". Marks are"star over N", "deer over P.V."(maybe a rabbit), then a small "AV" or possibly "M", a vertical line over a triple triangle(looks like a blacksmiths hammer), cursive"EL", "16" over "C" inside a diamond, "E" over "LG" over"*" inside a crowned circle below a star. Age, guage, and ballpark value would be greatly appriceated. Thanks, Dan
Old August 3, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Steven Mace

I believe you're describing Begian proofmarks.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17575181

It looks like you have a 16 ga. made sometime from 1898-1924. Maybe someone else can pinpoint the manufacturer.

Steve
Old August 3, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Scorch

Made in Belgium (ELG proofs), made of steel (as opposed to iron I suppose) from the Cockerill-Sambe metalworks (ouside of Liege, Belgium), sold by A. Gobin, Arqibusier (shotgun maker/dealer) in Paris, France. 16 gauge, 2-9/16" chambers, cylinder choke. The thingy that looks like a hammer (upside-down) is the Perron, a breeching proof. Crown over N is an inspector's mark. Made in 1976 (o date mark?) or 1936 (o date mark). M* is the mark of Scorpion Maurice (1976) or Couchant Louis (1936), the controller of proofs during that period. Proofed for smokeless powder (crown over PV).

Last edited by Scorch; August 3, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Creeper

Hi Dan, welcome to the Asylum.

Ain't it great that someone would take the time to dig up all that hard to find information for you?

If you want to pay the kindness forward, get yourself, or better still a young person, an NRA membership.

Just a suggestion. ya' understand.

Cheers,
C
Old August 4, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
poho1579

Steven, Scorch, thank you very much! Creeper, I will at the first opporotunity!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
-Samuel Adams
Old August 4, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Creeper

Good on ya'.

C