The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Chilecop

Dirty Bullets

I've reloaded some Hornady XTP's and of course they are clean.
This box of lead SWC 158 gr. in .357 are covered in black soot, grit, or who knows what.
Am I suppose to wipe this off, wash them, re-lube them or just load them and not worry about it? It's been a while since I ordered them but I thought they were suppose to be Remingtons and do not know if this is normal. This is a thousand bullets, not loaded ammo, not brass. Thanks.

Last edited by Chilecop; March 29, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old March 29, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Somebody else's reloads? Once fired brass? Loaded ammo? Bullets? Hornady XTP's are bullets, not ammo. So are lead SWC 158 gr. If it's brass, it needs to be cleaned. Usually, and easily done, in a tumbler. All your brass should be cleaned before you reload it.
If it's brass or loaded ammo(don't use other people's reloads anymore. You have no idea what it's loaded with or if the guy knows what he's doing. If he's not cleaning the brass, he doesn't), the quickest and cheapest way for you to fix it is to clean the soot off with a lint free rag and a bit of gun cleaning solvent, then wipe them dry with anothe rcloth. Time consuming nuisance, but required. The head stamp(around the primer) will tell you who made them. 'REM' means Remington. That's not a big deal one way or the other.
A tumbler is the easiest way to clean brass. Midway, et al sell them at $50 and up. Used is ok for nearly all reloading kit. Brownell's sells a liquid ot you can just swish the cases around in a tube of dish washing soap, rinse well and let dry. Putting them on a cookie sheet and into your oven set on the lowest setting for 15-20 minutes speeds up drying. Don't touch 'em fresh out of the oven. 30 minutes cooling time. Then just reload 'em the way you always do.
Old March 29, 2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Master Blaster

I have some remington 158 LSWC bullets I have been reloading that are just as you describe, the black stuff is a soft graphite and wax lube. I take mine and coat them in Lee liquid allox about a tsp per 150 in a jar and shake. I let then dry on paper overnight and load them. The graphite wax stuff is messy but is an effective lube and will keep your barrel from leading. I bought mine from graffs in a 2000 bullet box.

Reload away I use 4.5 gr trailboss powder and wsp and its a pleasant very accurate load in a .357 mag case.