The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2000, 03:56 PM   #1
charlesfmason

Want to buy a Rem 870 Police or Marine Magnum. Other then the finish, is there any significant difference I should be aware of?
Shotgun would be used for self-defense.
Thanks.
Old August 21, 2000, 04:27 PM   #2
Icopy

In my opinion, the 870 Police mag is the better of the two. The Police mags are better fitted and allow the use of sidesaddle. The Marine Magnum is perfect if you live around saltwater, but doesn't allow for a sidesaddle. You really can't go wrong with either. good luck
Old August 21, 2000, 04:41 PM   #3
PJR

I've always found the MM to be a bit gritty in its functioning compared to the Police Mag. I also prefer the wood stock of my PM and the ability to use a full size side saddle.
Old August 22, 2000, 06:16 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

The Marine Mag with long forearm will accept a side saddle with four (no problem). Or if you just have to have side saddle with six, you can change out forearm. The finish both inside and out on Marine Mag makes it super easy to clean. I have MM and have found finish to hold up very well to abuses of competition. Quick handling, setting down on props and stages, etc. I added Scattergun Tech ghost ring sights with tritium front post to mine. Makes a great tact gun. I have also found little difference in gun being spotted in pitch darkness. But when light is shone on it, nickel or stainless, silver colored guns give an optical illusion of appearing twice their size! Very intimidating. I also have Police Mag. Of the two the action of the Marine Mag is a little smoother. My two cents.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited August 22, 2000).]
Old August 23, 2000, 01:44 AM   #5
Bennett Richards

I have used both weapons. There is no question that the MM is the smoother operating of the two. The Electroless Nickle finish of the weapon is self lubricating and a snap to clean. The EN finish is almost impervious to corrosive elements and almost impossible to scratch. I have a SureFire front end on it so the side saddle is no problem... although UI like the 4 rounder better anyway.

Go MM.

Rich
Old August 23, 2000, 04:48 AM   #6
tuc22

Break in on marine finish action takes longer. There will likely be some hang ups especially if you don't work the action with authority. Once you've run about a hundred rounds through it and dry fired it a couple hundred more it should be pretty slick.
Old August 23, 2000, 05:14 PM   #7
greg c

The finish on my MM has proven very durable- just last weekend I dropped the barrel on accident while I was cleaning it- it hit the open edge of a surplus ammo can- I was expecting a dent/flake/chip whatever, but when I scraped off the ammo can paint that had abraded onto the gun, the nickle finish was unmarred!

I put on a combo shoulder+pistol grip speedfeed stock and a Giles sling and this baby can shoot!
Old August 23, 2000, 10:37 PM   #8
Blue Jays

Good Evening Everyone-

Currently running a Vang Comp Remington 870 Police Magnum that has received the "complete workover" from Hans. Talk about beautiful work that really improves utility.

Anyway, another side benefit of the Police Magnum would (God forbid...) be in the courtroom several months after a HD shooting. It would be very difficult for a Prosecutor to paint you as an "evil gunowner who loves his dark instruments of death" when the darn thing has "POLICE MAGNUM" clearly imprinted on the side.

"Yes your Honor, I was in my home watching TV when the deceased approached me with a knife. I told him that I feared for my life and to leave immediately, but he incoherently mumbled something and continued to advance. That's when I used my 'police shotgun' to save my life and the lives of my family."

Just my $.02

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

Old August 24, 2000, 09:08 AM   #9
ljlcdl

.... but he would have no trouble painting you as a cop wannabe, a tangible image the jury could relate to in an unfavorable way. i.e. everyone knows a cop wannabe.

Portraying the average citizen as an evil purveyor of death is the stuff TV is made of.

ljlc
Old August 24, 2000, 01:34 PM   #10
G. Kennedy

Another difference between the two is that the Marine Magnum has the grey plastic follower as opposed to the heavier duty red one on the Police guns...
Old August 25, 2000, 12:21 AM   #11
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

LJLCDL, yeah, I can see a prosecutor trying to work that angle. A decent defense attorney will just argue that you "selected the most-legal shotgun you could find" and that indeed, "this one is clearly designed for legal use because it is stamped with a 'POLICE' imprint."

From everything I've read (I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV...) most prosecutors will either try to demonize the weapon or if that doesn't look like a good plan, they'll make you a completely normal person who "slipped" and shot the person.

Now they have you arguing that you intentionally shot someone. Sheesh!

At the end-of-the-day, it is best to avoid a HD shooting by all means possible. It is a stress on finances, employment, home ownership, and marriage.

Gotta' get a few winks before work...

~ Blue Jays ~