The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 6, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Tfarough

AR15 Sig Sauer - need scope or red dot ideas

I just recently purchased a Sig Sauer m400e. It's the one with the fixed front sight and the flip up in the back. I'm keeping these for backup sights but I would like a go to sight that's clear and reactive. I'm open to a short range scope, a red dot or even a holographic sight. I'm not looking to break the bank but I do have around $200 that I could possibly put into it. Obviously I would like to go less than that BUT I don't want to buy a piece of crap either. Any options and feedback would be appreciated. I'm mostly using this gun for planking at the range, home defense if necessary and maybe some deer hunting. Thanks is advance for any post!
Old December 6, 2012, 07:16 PM   #2
CharlieDeltaJuliet

First of all congratulations, the Sig is a nice AR, one of my personal favorites. Vortex makes a good red dot. I might be wrong but I think it is in the price range. I have been really impressed with Vortex as of lately. Other than that I am sure these other guys might know of some others.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 6, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
ripnbst

Look at primary arms micro RDS. $85 and works.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:53 PM   #4
ozarkrecluse

For your price range, I'd look at the Vortex Sparc or Burris FastFire. I have both and think they're quality items.

On my AR, I have an Aimpoint Pro which cost a little less than $400.00. If you can increase your budget a little, you won't be sorry getting one of those.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:39 AM   #5
alex0535

I was able to find a Burris Fastfire III 3 moa red dot for around $220.

Its very low profile, weighs next to nothing, rated for 1000g's of recoil, dot has a high, medium, low, and automatic brightness modes. Shuts off after 8 hours. Waterproof enough to be submersible. Battery removes without removing the sight, which isn't the case with the Fastfire II. Steel exterior, comes with a cover. I have nothing but excellent things to say about it.

I would feel good with this thing on anything from a handgun to muzzle loader and everything in between. It will do everything you want in a red dot. The first setting is the auto adjustment brightness, its pretty awesome in the dark.

You won't regret getting one, in my opinion it has its place on anything with a rail, and a good number of others that they make mounts for.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
scsov509

The Vortex Sparc or Strikefire are great optics within your budget if you want reflex sight. Optics Planet has the Sparc for $199 or the Strikefire for $169, both of them ship free, and Optics Planet has an additional $15 off coupon orders of $150 or more that ends today. Looks like they're both back ordered right now, but $184 for the Sparc or $154 for the Strikefire shipped to your door in a few weeks is a pretty decent deal on these optics.

Since you mentioned hunting as a possibility, I'd also suggest looking at something like the Millet DMS. It's a 1x4 scope so that you've got a little magnification, but it's a reflex style reticle that gives you the best of both worlds. You can get the DMS for about $260 shipped including a mount, which I know is a little above your budget. But again, since you mentioned hunting I thought I'd at least throw out the DMS or something similar as worth considering for your new rifle.

Tags
optics , red dot , scope , scope help , sights