The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 01:15 AM   #1
davidsoc

Is the CZ75 SA the best SA 9mm for under 1k? BHP excluded.

Hey all ive been tossing around all the options for a 9mm pistol for a LONG time now.

I gave the polymer pistols a try, checked out the xd's, kahrs, glocks sigmas and m&p but none made a real impression on me.

My favorite pistols and what im most used to are 1911's so im going to keep it SA only for my 9mm...but don't want a 1911 in 9mm (just personally seems wrong to have a 1911 in anything but .45)

Ive fondled the regular 75b and love the ergos so im guessing the 75 SA will be just as nice in the hand.

What other options are out there for a SA only 9mm for under 1k?

Im excluding the BHP because they are just too pricey for me.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:21 AM   #2
JimmyR

As a CZ lover, I can say that from a comfort stand, there aren't many that compare. I've shot a few, handled a few more, and from my experience, your best bet aside from the CZ is the Beretta PX4 full size. I paid $525 OTD for mine new. I personally got the DAO only model, since I wasn't a fan of the external saftey.

If you like the CZ-75SA, you might also enjoy a good 1911 chambered in 9mm (I think RIA makes one, and they tend to be under $500-600).
Old March 29, 2013, 07:05 AM   #3
WVsig

No any 1911 in 9mm will have a better trigger than a stock CZ even with the SA trigger but you have excluded that from consideration.

You have also excluded the second best 9mm in SA which is the BHP which for under a grand you could score a used gun and have it tuned up for less than $1000 IMHO which would also yield a better pistol than the CZ IMO.

But since these are not options the CZ is a good SA setup.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Pilot

You can certainly get a CZ trigger to be very, very good, but yes it will need a bit of work or some drop in parts which are available. I would start with the steel framed SP-01 Shadow, or one of its variants and go from there. It isn't necessary to just stick with the SA version, but if that's what you want, go for it.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
loose_holster_dan

either that or a good 9mm 1911 like the sti spartan v
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 29, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Pistola Pedro

I'm also considering the SA. I had a Trojan 1911 in 9mm that I absolutely loved, but am wanting to have something that is smaller and works for ccw that also happens to work with the full size holster.
I'm thinking about the CZ 75 SA and a 2075 RAMI as a tandem. Not 100% on it yet, but it's what I'm thinking. However, I'll repeat what others have said again and tell you that a 1911 in 9mm can be an awesome thing to behold.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:13 AM   #7
RedBowTies88

CZ is the best in every way except the trigger, mine has a very positive engaugement. Or at least it did. It doesn't take much to make the trigger awesome and then it's perfect.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8
ferrarif1fan

You might also check out the Taurus PT92's. These pistols are of course Taurus copies of Beretta 92's. But the thing that I love about them is the frame mounted safety/decocker. Pressing it down decocks the pistol. But if you lift the safety lever up with the hammer back, you're essentially cocked-and-locked, for a single action first shot. I've got the stainless version and just picked up a Ciener .22 conversion kit for it. I really love that pistol!

Robert
Old March 29, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
You might also check out the Taurus PT92's.
FALSE
Old March 29, 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
davidsoc

WVsig - i'd love a BHP but ive never seen one around here in southern cali for a good enough price
Old March 29, 2013, 03:33 PM   #11
davidsoc

Does anyone know about the charles daly bhp? i hear they are affordable but ive never seen one around...that would be an option
Old March 29, 2013, 03:46 PM   #12
mrray13

I had a Charles Daly 1911, that I gave my son for graduating. I've played with a few Charles Daly shotguns, have yet to have a bad experience with any of them. I'd wager the BHP from Daly would be just as good. Definitely worth a serious look/feel/range trip.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Wreck-n-Crew

quote by PILOT
Quote:
You might also check out the Taurus PT92's.
RESONSE BY LOOSE HOLSTER Dan
Quote:
FALSE
Why not check out the PT 92? Personal preference, experience related,etc?
Old March 29, 2013, 04:44 PM   #14
thedudeabides

Yes, but I'd probably check out the M9.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:51 PM   #15
FALPhil

I can understand why some folks would prefer a Beretta 92 or clone. However, for me, the 92 was just slightly too large. The grip geometry on the CZ lends itself easy one-handed operation for me, and frankly, I can shoot the CZ better and faster than I can the Beretta.

As a comparison, I find that the large frame EAA Witness (steel) and the Beretta 92/M9 feel about the same. Given a choice between the two, I would still take the Witness.

In today's world there are probably many production steel handguns that approach or equal the CZ, but I do not think that there are any which are better.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:54 PM   #16
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Why not check out the PT 92? Personal preference, experience related,etc?
check out is fine, but it's not a single action only pistol like the OP wanted.

i personally don't care for taurus. that one isn't terrible, tho.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:55 PM   #17
thedudeabides

I always say BHP, M9/92, CZ75, P226 in the same sentence.

EAA clones aren't terrible, neither are the Taurus clones.

I had one of each over the years, and kept returning to the Hi-Power.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:22 PM   #18
manta49

You won't get a better 9mm than the CZ 75 for under $1000. I fitted a S/A trigger to my CZ 75 SPO1 Shadow.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Wreck-n-Crew

Cool, gotcha. didn't catch the sa part and that is subject for sure. What I like a
bout the 92 is the open slide design.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; March 29, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:49 PM   #20
manta49

Cool, gotcha. didn't catch the sa part and that is subject for sure. What I like a
bout the 92 is the open slide design.

True but it also leads to a weaker slide than other designs. The 92 has had its problems in that regard.
Old March 29, 2013, 06:06 PM   #21
Wreck-n-Crew

Sorry Manta i was multitasking and that part was meant for a discussion i was having about the top ejector on a pistol in an email with a friend. The subject on that one was the jamming issues of the cobra 380 (former Davis design). I need to pay more attention ....lol

(Even though the top ejection is the least of their worries)
Old March 29, 2013, 08:43 PM   #22
marine6680

You can try thee EAA Witness Match.

It is a CZ clone with a SA trigger, and it is a very very good trigger. I would but that trigger up against a good 1911 trigger... it may not beat it, but it sure ain't a slouch. (maybe I'm wrong there... but I was very impressed by the one I held recently) About $600 or so.

Keep in mind that EAA went with the larger CZ97 sized frame. But used ones can be found in the smaller frame size.

You can do the same with a CZ, either getting drop in parts for a regular CZ or getting a tuned CZ from CZ Custom.

The regular CZ with drop in parts will be very nice if you get good ones that are polished well, a few shops sell them online. It will cost a couple hundred over the cost of the pistol for the parts. You get the real deal not a copy, and in the regular 9mm frame size. Even the factory SA isn't bad, but a little polishing will do a lot of good, this route is cheaper than sourcing tuned trigger parts if you don't mind doing a little work.

Heck, you can tune the DA/SA trigger to about 2lb... a good shop like CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works... but that will cost you a few hundred at least, and you have to use handloads for reliable ignition. I think a slight rise to 3lb is enough to allow quality factory loads to ignite reliably, and a 4.5lb trigger can be had that will ignite most primers well. (the CZ forum has more info, and I am going off memory here, so don't take this to heart without verifying over there)

Or you can get a CZ Shadow in SA. Its MSRP is $950. The cost would only be a little more than tuning a normal CZ75, and would be a much better platform for target shooting. Not sure how much tuning is done to it from the factory though.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:46 PM   #23
TxFlyFish

If trigger is the big drawback then you can order directly from cz custom and have them do the work on it.

They're the largest cz distributor and even have the custom work order under each factory listing. This way you get the gun already tuned without having to send it in to a custom shop

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75B-SA-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx
Old March 29, 2013, 11:08 PM   #24
davidsoc

the m9/92's are nice but id prefer a steel frame, and i dont think the eaa's are legal in cali

id really like to have a SAO trigger system but if the pickings are too slim i could live with DA/SA that can be cocked & locked and just pretend the DA isnt there

ive heard that its pretty easy to turn the cz75b into SAO, does anyone know if this is true? if so would the switch be possible on the 75 compact?
Old March 30, 2013, 01:11 PM   #25
jmstr

DavidSOC: Become familiar with CalGuns dot Net. You will find used handguns that you can't import into California.

I have seen 3 Hi Powers for sale over there in the past week in the $725-800 range: from SHerman Oaks down to San Diego.

I bought my last HP through a member there for $650, with 6 magazines [finish was VERY holster worn].

But, they are USED. Plan on changing the recoil/firing pin/sear springs [less than $25] to be safe.

If you are looking at spending under $1000 and you are NOT stuck on new, you can still consider Hi Powers.

That said, a stock/oem trigger on a Hi Power is generally not as crisp as any 1911. They have certain characteristcs that aren't as nice. Do some searching, or read up on them at the 1911forums website: they have a subsection for Hi Powers.

So a HP is available under your price limit, if you are willing to buy used. I do most of my own gunsmithing, so that isn't an issue for me.

That said, the CZ 75SA is a NICE gun. I like it. like the BHP more, but the CZ75SA would be a nice addition to my 4 BHP pistols!

They also cost less brand new than a good price on a BHP pistol. And, if you are looking at a pre-Mark III Hi Power, the CZ can handle a longer period of +P 9mm ammo through it.

There are a lot of things going for the CZ. Definitely worth checking out if you are wanting a SA 9mm full-sized steel gun.