The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
sirdiealot

loading slugs in 410

ok dont start yelling at me if his is stupid idea....can a person open up a unfired 410 shell drop out the shot an drop back in a slug crimp and fire the shell safely

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Stukaman

Propably
Old January 26, 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
SHR970

Nope...won't work.

In a 410 a slug takes up little volume; you need a bunch of wads to make up the distance from the powder seal to the crimp.

Second, the wad in a 410 with ribs on it would accommodate something as wide a a 00Buck pellet.... .33" without ribs a 000Buck pellet or..... .36". A slug usually runs around .39". That makes the slug too wide to fit in the wad.

Then you run into pressure issues as in too low. A slug runs ~98 gr. to 110 gr. depending on 1/5 oz. or 1/4 oz. Even a skeet load in a 2 1/2" shell weighs in @ 220 gr. or 1/2 oz. The light weight of a slug won't allow the slow powders used in a 410 to generate enough pressure to work well if at all. The net result would likely be a squib load.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
sirdiealot

so then these 5 boxes of shells i found are just gonna set around a few more years till my 6yr old gets comfortable shooting. hes shot it twice but decided he would rathe shoot the 22 lol. after the first time shooting it i asked him if i should load it again and he said ok so he shot it same ? he said can we just shoot the 22s now.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.