The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1
pinkerpv

Universal M1 carbine

I recently purchased an M1 carbine mfg by the Universal Corp out of Hialeah, Fl. They are since out of business. This carbine was mfg during the early 80s. the rear sight is an adjustable peep sight similar to the type found on military M1 carbines. The sight can be adjusted for windage but the locking mechanism is a detent and ball bearing. It is missing the small ball bearing to adjust for windage. The adjustment screw and locking nut for the windage adjustment are present, but the windage screw is stripped at the nut. It will not secure the Peep sight to the receiver.

The nut does not appear to have any threads, but the adjustment screw does of course with the exception at the very end where it fits into the nut. The threads at that location appear stripped maybe by design. The nut could be secured on the screw by locktight or some other glue/epoxy and only removed by a gunsmith when maintenance is required. However I would think that the sight would be more easily replaceable.

My question is does anyone have a universal model M1 carbine and any information and suggestions on how to fix the sight. i have looked on Numrich Gun parts and they have the type 1 and 2 sights available but not the type 3 which is the one I need.
Old November 21, 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It's best to just replace the rear sight.
USGI sights were staked together and were not intended to be repaired, just replaced.

There were three types of original USGI sights.
The first was a simple "L" shaped non-adjustable sight.
The second was adjustable for windage and elevation, and was made of milled steel.
The third was a stamped version of the second.

The "preferred" sight is the second type made of milled steel. It's just better quality than the stamped version.
Many parts houses and surplus dealers have original or "replica" models of this sight.

If you insist on having a stamped sight, surplus parts can be bought form companies like:
Orion 7 Enterprises.
Fulton Armory.
William J. Ricca.
and many others.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:43 AM   #3
pinkerpv

Here's an update on the Universal carbine rear sight issue. I bought a 1/16 detent ball from the gunsmith at Gander Mt. Pre-fit works great. Gunsmith gave me some ideas as to how to repair. Will update further when complete.
Old November 25, 2008, 05:02 PM   #4
pinkerpv

have completed repair on the carbine. Detent ball works great. used super glue instead of locktight or jb weld on nut. Have taken to local gun shop for consignment sale. Other universal carbine I had was sold for $600 in less than 1 week. Hope this one sells that well also.
Old November 25, 2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Smoke & Recoil

Hey pinkerpv,
Did your M1 have the lexon magazines, mine doe's.