The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Maxamillion_16

WHICH GUN

Hey guys, i have a tough decision, i bought a Remington 870 express magnum 20 gauge used in really good condition. It came with a blued cantiliver slug barrel that is fully rifled.

There was another 870 there that was the exact same as mine, it was in a little worse condition, but it came with a smooth bore slug barrel with sights, and a vent rib barrel, and it had some gunk in the barrels and some scratches on the metal and dings in the wood. but it was the same price as mine.

I really want a vent rib barrel, but they are really expensive. and since the other one came with one i am stuck on if i should take mine back and get that one...

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 31, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Maxamillion_16

And if someone has a vent rib Barrel that would fit my gun for under a hundred dollars, i will gladly buy it from you.
Old July 31, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
idek

For MY purposes, a gun with a vent rib smooth barrel and a smooth slug barrel with rifle sights would be more practical than one with only a rifled barrel.

I guess it would depend on how big a priority shooting slugs is to you. For smoothbore slugs, Brenneke makes a 3" magnum slug that could probably be effective around 75 yards or more with rifle sights. Sabots with a scope would give you a little more range...beyond 100 yards probably.

ETA: I see you have another post about your savage deer rifle in 30-06. I'm not sure why you'd want a rifled barrel shotgun. (unless you hunt in both rifle AND shotgun zones)

Last edited by idek; July 31, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old July 31, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Maxamillion_16

I do alot of deer drives, and my rifle is very heavy, i wanted something that would be quick and light, and i would be putting a red dot sight on it also.
Old August 1, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
WV_gunner

Get what you want. I really dont see what is so special about a vent rib.

No reason not to have a rifled shotgun. I own a few centerfire rifles that I can deer hunt with, just got a Mossburg Slugster and want to try hunting with it.

I have 2 rules about guns, be safe and there's no such thing as too many.
Old August 1, 2012, 01:02 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
I do alot of deer drives, and my rifle is very heavy, i wanted something that would be quick and light, and i would be putting a red dot sight on it also.
I think you will find that your shotgun, especially with an added red dot sight, will weigh right at, if not more than, your hunting rifle - unless your deer rifle is some varmint/benchrest 11# behemouth

If you want quick and light, you might want to look at a basic 30-30
Old August 1, 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
BigJimP

There is no wrong or right answer....

I don't use a shotgun for hunting big game .../and even if I did - the last thing I would want on it would be a red dot sight. I've killed well over 50 deer ...with a .30-30 and .30-06 ...and for the most part over the years I either hunted with iron sights ...or a wide field variable scope like a 2X-7X power... and 90% of the time, since I stalked deer in Timber / my rifles stayed on 2X...and my scope mount always had a slap down option / in case it was clouded with snow, etc...I could slap it down and use the iron sights.

Maybe a shotgun is more practical in the areas you hunt ...no way for me to know...

You seem undecided because extra barrels are "expensive" .....maybe they are / maybe not ....depends on what you consider "expensive" I guess.

Pick a gun ...buy one --- buy two ---- / make the best deal you can locally on another barrel for the gun you have....I don't know what to tell you.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:10 AM   #8
maas

as far as i know (and that's not much by the way) a vent rib is just to raise the bead for easier sighting. maybe instead of buying a new barrel try using some aftermarket hi viz sights. but it all boils down to is, if you can shoot good with it why change it.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!