The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
elrotundamundo

Will new lot of bullets change point of impact?

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I finally worked up the load I want to hunt with this fall, but used up most of my box of bullets. My question is: will the next box I buy of identical bullets shoot to a significantly different point of impact?

Rifle: Mossberg 4X4 24" bbl. with muzzle brake in .270 Winchester

Primer; CCI large rifle (standard)

Case: Winchester

Powder: RL22 (57 gr.) (.5 gr over max on Alliant's website but 1.5 under max in Lyman 48th Edition)

Bullet: Nosler 140 gr. Accubond

The rifle groups better WITH the muzzle brake.

I killed an elk last fall with the 140 gr. Accubond in Winchester factory load and really liked the bullet performance so I am trying to approximate that load.

I get 5/8" groups at 100 yards and extraction is easy. Primers are slightly less radiused than 55 gr. loads but only slightly and are by no means flattened.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2
WWWJD

All manufacturers are subject to change their stuff without telling anybody about it. A proven bullet like the accubond? Probably not.. but you'll never know until you load some out of the new batch and confirm.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old May 8, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Should be the same POI with the same bullet . But it's always prudent to verify , before going hunting !