The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Sportdog

Match Bullets Question

I was looking to purchase some bullets for just fun shooting and I noticed that all of the bullets called "Match" are hollow points. What is the reason for hollow point design in match bullets? Are they meant to expand? Is that design special for aerodynamics? If they expand, what is the difference between match bullets and hunting bullets? Thanks for educating me!
Old March 28, 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Casimer

'Match' tends to indicate the grade more so than any special features of the design. So a match bullet should be a truer bullet dimensionally and by weight.

But there's no guarantee that they are, it really comes down to who's bullets you're looking at - some companies may use the term 'match' for bullets that are no better than standard bullets from another company.
Old March 28, 2009, 07:16 PM   #3
dardascastbullets

There are several criteria that distinguish a match bullet from a hunting bullet.
1. Jacket thickness, length, and alloy content. The thickness of a match bullet is typically thinner than a hunting bullet's jacket. The length of a match bullet is typically long enough to create a hollow point (rifle) or full/half/three quarter metal jacket (pistol). Jackets for hunting bullets are so variable to say the least. The alloy content can vary as well between match and hunting bullets.
2. Rifle match bullets are typically hollow point design so the lead core is of an inert nature. The core of a hunting bullet (whether it be rifle or pistol) can vary widely depending on the function of the bullet.

I believe you are referring to hollow points for rifle and yes that design has proven to be the best aerodynamically.

I hope this answers your question.
Old March 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Sportdog

Matt

You probably answered my question but I plead ignorance to some of the terminology. Are these bullets designed to expand on impact? The reason I ask is that I was trying to purchase some FMJ bullets but no one seems to have them in stock but they do have match bullets. Use would be reduction in pelt damage to coyotes with a deer caliber. Thank You.
Old March 28, 2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

A hundred years ago, Harry Pope taught the bullet is steered by its base. Harold Vaughn's book, Rifle Accuracy Facts, has a good discussion and some experiments to prove this. Vaughn filed substantial slants on bullet noses with only small effect on accuracy, but even a slight slant filed on the base sends the bullet off quite a bit. Without getting into the reasons this is true, the match bullet maker thus has to give priority to forming the base of the bullet as precisely and symmetrically about the bullet axis as he can.

It has been found that the old practice of forming a full metal jacket bullet with exposed base has a limit to how accurately the base turns out and that it is difficult to keep the jacket walls truly uniform when the bottom of the cup is formed into a point. So, instead of forming the bottom of the jacket cup into a point and stuffing the base with lead (the old way), match bullet makers now do the reverse. They form the bottom of the jacket cup into the bullet base, which is easier to keep accurate and to make it as perfect as possible. They then pack the lead core in the nose and afterward form the ogive over it.

Now, what do you do with that open nose that's leftover? Well, you can either make it as small as possible with the ogive forming dies or you can park a plastic tip in it. Both are done by different makers. The hollow point is too small to expand, which is why the Sierra 175 grain MatchKing is OK'd for use in combat in M118LR ammo. The jackets are thinner than hunting bullets not because the makers are economizing, but because it turns out to be easier to keep thin jacket walls uniform in thickness about the bullet axis. That minimizes wobble in flight. The thin jackets do tend to come apart in game, though, so they aren't great hunting bullets from that standpoint.

The bottom line is that the small hollow point is an artifact of the bullet forming process. A small ballistic improvement can be made by adding a plastic tip with a controlled radius size on the nose, but it is so small most makers don't bother.

P.S., because these bullets come apart in game, pelt damage may be a bit greater than with FMJ's, but won't be as bad as expanding bullets produce.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 28, 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:01 AM   #6
Mr Odd Six

Most match projectiles are designed to cut air and paper, not meat.

Some work well on meat, some not worth a darn.