The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1
NFACurious

Factory load brass....

Any notice factory loaded brass trimmed shorter than the reload manual trim to specs? I noticed this a few years ago with some .223 now its showing up again in a bunch of 9mm luger I just shot... Any one else seen this too or am I unlucky like everything else I do?
Old March 19, 2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Sevens

How did you measure this brass to come to this conclusion?

There's a lot of variables here. First off, a lot of pistol rounds have been known to shrink slightly rather than stretch when fired. Are you measuring the length of once fired brass? Or of factory loaded brass that's never been fired?

.223 brass ought to stretch (or flow) and not shrink when fired.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:21 AM   #3
NFACurious

I've been measuring the brass after I fired it. I've been measuring it cause I want to reload it for myself. I've been using Starrett 6in dial caliper and to make sure my calipers weren't broken, I used my 0-1" mic from starrett also. In the case of the 9mm the trim to length in the manual is .754" and the brass after firing is measureing .740" to .745".
Old March 19, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Sevens

Try measuring just the brass on a factory loaded round, either still loaded with a bullet in place, or pull the bullet using a kinetic puller.

I don't measure any of my handgun brass. Folks have said that it does shrink a bit when fired. I've never had any trouble loading the same brass many times. Good performance, reliability, accuracy, etc.