The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 6, 2006, 02:15 AM   #51
Hook686

Quote:
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM #44
kennybs plbg

Blame instead the civilized manner in which we are raised, and where the majority of us adhere to the tenets of our upbringings, which advocate compassion and kindness.

It is no longer a civilized manner today but a politically correct one. Where is it civilized to not react and help the helpless in need, but rather give the first consideration of compassion and kindness to the agressor.
When I read such garbage it makes sick.

Quote:
You must learn to recognize when the moment of truth arrives; learn the difference between shoot and no-shoot and be able to apply sound judgement.

At one time this was covered in our upbringing. People knew right from wrong, it was taught by their parents, family members, schools etc. They didn't need to read it in a book midway through life before being able to make a sound judgement. My children will leave my home with this ability when the time comes, actually the time is here and I have doubt of their outcome.

kenny b
kenny, I once read of a Michigan Dept. of Fish & Game project that took o few dozen Mule deer from the Southwest and transplanted them to Michigan. A few years later there were over 1,000 Mule deer roaming the Michigan forrest. The Fish & Game folks were very happy ... their project was viewed as very successful. However, it was the mid 50's, as I recall, the worst blizzard in a long, long time in that region. Come Spring, there remained roughly two dozen Mule deer ... the rest had not survived the harsh winter. Without the natural preditors to weed out the herd, all survived, even the weak ones that would not have made it back in their native habitat.

What does this have to do with this thread ... well it seems to me, if most folks must rely upon others for their survival, the species loses that which is essential for survival ... the weak perish. This is what I view the responses of some that postulate a strong, violent response.

2nd, I wonder at the judgements used by some folks to decicide who is to live, and who is to die ... are written standards to be prepared ... who writes those standards, applies them, adjudicates them ? Perhaps there will be no standards of personal interaction, perhaps a simple "Law of the Jungle" approach to be the standard ? However then, how will it be determined who the weak are, who are to protected ?

Sometimes I think those that advocate swift, violent, retribution are the more frightened. I applaud Ronny, a marvelous scenario .... and yes I think he trained well for this experience ... did he not say he was returning from church.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.