The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2002, 07:38 PM   #1
Kevan

Slugs for Defender---any advice from 1300 owners?

I've got my 1300 12 gauge and have not shot slugs out of it yet. I see a lot of "gee-whiz" slugs out there and, quite frankly, can't see the use for sabots even if I had a rifled barrel. I'd rather have a larger projectile. Anyway, I see a lot of brands and I know it mostly depends on the individual, but even so, there might be some that work better out of particular guns that others. I see Rottweil, Brenneke, and I hear good things about the Winchester brand. Any of you 1300 shooters find one brand that really works well for you?
Old March 17, 2002, 09:03 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not a 1300 owner, but do know something about this. Identical shotugns with sequential serial numbers will have different slugs working best in them. Slug shooting still has a touch of the arcane about it, rather than hard science.

The only way to find the best slug for your and your shotgun is to try them out.Good news, there's no ineffective 12 gauge slugs.

Buyamessa 5 packs of non sabot slugs. Bench test at 25 yards at first, and as you narrow down the choice move back to 50. When one slug is clearly the most accurate, buyammessa that one.

HTH...
Old March 17, 2002, 10:52 PM   #3
Kevan

Thanks! That sounds like the best advice. It also sounds like the most fun way of doing it also.
Old March 17, 2002, 11:39 PM   #4
Powderman

For your 1300: Federal Tactical, 2 3/4 inch slugs, and Low Recoil 00 Buck.

For real comfort while shooting it, get a Hogue CompStock. Trust me on it.

I just came from the range recently. I was firing on a 50 yard target; first with the Tactical slugs, then rapid fire with 3" 1 1/4 ounce Magnum slugs. Felt recoil was like a trap gun. Trust me on this one.
Old March 18, 2002, 06:18 AM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

One point - if you have a bead sight, select the slug that hits closest to the point of aim. Group size is moot if you have to remember an offset aim point.

What do you intend to use your slugs for?

Giz
Old March 18, 2002, 10:13 AM   #6
fix

I have 4 1300 Defenders. One is the Camp Defender model so it's irrelevant. All three of the others are the 8 shot, 18" bbl model. All three of these group under 5 inches at 100 yds with Federal Classic 2 3/4" 1 oz rifled hollow-points (3 shot groups). Everything else is > 5. At ranges under 50 yards, I can't really tell a difference though. Honestly, I'm happy with 5" groups from a shotgun at 100 yards, but I know folks that aren't happy until they're under 3". These slugs only have about a 4" drop at 100 yds, so they're pretty easy to hold over with.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/cgi-...oad_num=F127RS
Old March 18, 2002, 07:17 PM   #7
Kevan

Thanks for the replies! Gizmo asked what I plan to do with these slugs. Well, mostly I'm the kind of guy who likes to shoot these things just to shoot them for fun with an eye on training. That is, it's all fun with an eye on self-defense. I also might be looking at deer or elk in the future.