The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 11:38 PM   #1
nova609

Quick Hollow Base question

Been trying to buy bullets with all the madness that's goin on and I find myself avoiding even looking at hollow base bullets so I've started thinking....is there any real difference between a flat base and a hollow base bullet in regards to loading it?

I am a novice reloader and was just curious, if I buy a hollow base bullet, is there a different process or step that I need to do or consider when loading this bullet?

I promise I searched this question before creating this thread so I apologize if there is one out there. Just a quick simple response would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Fire_Moose

The hollow bottom will be slightly longer....leading to a larger bearing surface.

I prefer them watch yer seating depth.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Old January 26, 2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Turbo6ta

I don't know about all hollow base bullets, but I do know that the .45 ACP poly-coated Bear Creek 200gr hollow-base RN lead bullet has the same external measurements as there poly-coated 230gr non-hollow base lead RN bullet (it just looses the 30gr from having the hollow base).

What does that mean to the reloader/ ... Well, if you load the standard 230gr RN to a OAL of lets say 1.25" .... since the 200 gr hollow base RN has the same dimensions, you would also set it to the same OAL of 1.25"

The only thing that may change is the powder load ... a lighter bullet normally will be loaded with a slightly greater powder change that a heavier bullet.

Hope that helps just a little.

Last edited by Turbo6ta; January 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:29 AM   #4
serf 'rett

I going to assume you are looking at hollow base pistol bullets. It is always helpful to give the details in the opening post. Stuff like caliber, bullet, make, etc.

I prefer the hollow base design in my 9mm.

Must pay attention to "fit" in chamber. When loaded at a "standard" length show in a manual, some bullet profiles can come in contact with the lands before the case headspaces in the chamber.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
nova609

Apologies, I am wanting to reload a .380 100gr bullet. I've never loaded a hollow base bullet before and just wondering if there was something I should look for or do differently in comparison to a flat based bullet. New to reloading so I reference my Lyman manual and couldn't find anything pertaining to hollow base procedure.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
TXGunNut

In that case Turbo6ta's answer fits best and our friend in Stuttgart has good points as well. HB bullets have different functions in different situations.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:49 PM   #7
nova609

I appreciate the replies....so I guess my next question would be, whats the purpose of a hollow base? Whats the benefit, if one? What do you lose/gain with a hollow base over flat?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:56 PM   #8
wncchester

A hollow base will expand to fill the bore at a lower pressure than a flat base. Unless you're loading at or below midrange pressures there won't be any difference at all in effect. There is precisely no difference in how they are loaded, just seat so the crimp groove is in the proper place and go.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:27 PM   #9
nova609

wncchester, thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense and actually might benefit me since I want to load some "wife loads" for her to shoot out of her revolver. I am going to use min load so that bullet will be good. Straight walled bullets so I don't have to worry about a groove line..I'll just seat to stated spec.

Something I've found that seems weird, I have found hardly any data for a 100gr .380 bullet, but hodgdon states a start load of 3.6 and max of 3.8 of Unique. But my lyman manual shows a 95grain .380 bullet start load of 2.1 I believe...talk about scary since I've already loaded 20 100gr bullets at 3.6gr.

This may make an experienced loader chuckle but being so green at this it seems like a major powder difference for 5grains of bullet weight.....then again, I followed the manual so I imagine I'm safe.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
TXGunNut

In the case of your .380 the benefit is that it gives you the bearing surface and contour of a heavier bullet with less recoil than the heavier bullet.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Turf

I like them

When I buy from Berry that's what I prefer. The claim is more bearing surface is in contact with the barrel as a non-hollow base bullet of the same weight -