The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2009, 08:50 PM   #1
colostomyclown

decent selling price for used Wingmaster furniture? (pics)

what could I expect to get for this? And when I opened the stock, there was a metal spacer in between gun and stock. Should I keep that, or is it only for use with nice wood furniture?
Old April 26, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Coyote Hitman

Nice wood, but it looks press checkered. I wouldn't pay more than 40.00-50.00 unless it has cut checkering.
Old April 26, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
colostomyclown

LOL, thanks for the input. I'm a newjack and wouldn't know. I know only enough to know guns sure aren't made like they used to be!
Old April 26, 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
jlv08

IF it were my gun I would keep it as walnut Remington stocks may not be so available and would be expensive to replace if you should go back to stock configuration.

I don't mean any harm but it seems to me thet you are not letting any grass grow under your feet when you decided to make a home defense shotgun.

I would ,in my humble honest opinion slow down a little and get to know your gun inside and out so as to be prepared for what ever anomaly may come along.

Take your time and ask yourself if what ever decision you make will be one that makes good of the money you spend and really enhances your gun for the better.

I know how it is to get something and am guilty of not taking the time to plan the action and and the consequence the result.

Remember the seven P's; Proper Planning Prevents P!$$
Poor Performance.

From what I've gleaned, you want a Wingmaster based HD shotgun. That's great. I have three guns (not Wingmasters) although I have had a few in my lifetime and really, one of those that I had I deemed a real nice gun. it was an older 60's model and man that was one slick, tight shotgun.

Slow and easy wins the race and shotguns for HD should be thought out carefully.

Tacticool ain't cool if it provides no real enhancement to the shotgun and empties your wallet at the same time.
Old April 26, 2009, 09:22 PM   #5
jlv08

IF it were my gun I would keep it as walnut Remington stocks may not be so available and would be expensive to replace if you should go back to stock configuration.

I don't mean any harm but it seems to me thet you are not letting any grass grow under your feet when you decided to make a home defense shotgun.

I would ,in my humble honest opinion slow down a little and get to know your gun inside and out so as to be prepared for what ever anomaly may come along.

Take your time and ask yourself if what ever decision you make will be one that makes good of the money you spend and really enhances your gun for the better.

I know how it is to get something and am guilty of not taking the time to plan the action and and the consequence the result.

Remember the seven P's; Proper Planning Prevents P!$$
Poor Performance.

From what I've gleaned, you want a Wingmaster based HD shotgun. That's great. I have three guns (not Wingmasters) although I have had a few in my lifetime and really, one of those that I had I deemed a real nice gun. it was an older 60's model and man that was one slick, tight shotgun.

Slow and easy wins the race and shotguns for HD should be thought out carefully.

Tacticool ain't cool if it provides no real enhancement to the shotgun and empties your wallet at the same time.
Old April 26, 2009, 09:33 PM   #6
colostomyclown

Agreed. I've got a pretty clear picture in mind -

PGO for this particular gun because it is a 2 and 3/4" chamber only. Now I am not a HUGE fan of pgo's but I DO think they have they're place. I figure this gun is best suited for that purpose. I ordered an 18.5" bead sight 870 Mossberg barrel, a 2 shot Choate extension, a vang comp stainless steel shell follower and a Hogue tamer pg/forend combo. Gonna keep this a pgo gun. Some people will probably cringe haha But I deemed that the best purpose for this gun...
Old April 26, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
dalecooper51

It looks like it has a crack in the wrist.

I would just epoxy it and stick it in a drawer and hold on to it.

Don't think it's worth all that much in its current condition
Old April 26, 2009, 10:21 PM   #8
colostomyclown

It does have a crack in the wrist, very perceptive. It's on both sides actually. It's fiarly minor, but it's not my doing, I assure you. The guy I sold the original barrel to the other day for 70 bucks said he would be interested in the furniture if I decided to sell. I probably will if I add this other stuff and end up liking it. So I was wondering what's a fair deal to give him on it...
Old April 26, 2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Ruger4570

I am really starting to wonder why all of a sudden folks refer to a "gunstock" as furniture" Are you folks unfamiliar with the proper nomenclature or just trying to start your own little gun vocabulary? Calling a gunstock "furniture" make as much sense to me as calling the bolt of your shotgun "the sliding thing"
YEP, I am an old fuddy duddy, I like a firing pin called that, not something like a "make it shoot pin"
Without being a pain in the a_ _, cant we as gun owners and shooters simply refer to the gun parts for what they are? You know, what the manufacturers call the parts.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:46 AM   #10
jlv08

Furniture is a word that is used by those of us who drink tea and coffee with our pinky fingers extended and sit around and look up words to impress those who don't know any better. (Just kidding!)

I don't think the term furniture is that off base and what a gun is "furnished" with is not what I would call an inappropriate term.

Old fuddy duddy? hmm..... some people call me an old f@rt!
Old April 27, 2009, 09:49 AM   #11
colostomyclown

Furniture - gun stock and forend.
Old April 27, 2009, 01:06 PM   #12
zippy13

Ruger4570 is absolutely correct, Calling a gunstock "furniture" make as much sense to me as calling the bolt of your shotgun "the sliding thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by colostomyclown
Furniture - gun stock and forend.
I think not! Yet, if you're unaware of the history of firearms, it's an understandable misnomer.

The term furniture doesn't mean the wood but the metal (some plastic these days) goodies that go with the wood. These aren't as common with contemporary arms as earlier ones. Items of stock furniture may include: Lock /side plates, butt plates, toe plates, forend caps, grip caps, escutcheons, guards, bands, ram rod entry pipes, swivels, pins, and screws.

These items fit very neatly into my dictionary's definition: furniture, 2. fittings, apparatus, or necessary accessories for something.
Old April 27, 2009, 01:20 PM   #13
BigJimP

+1 to what my friend Zippy13 said

and with a crack in it - its worthless / if you had a conscience, you would just give it to the guy that bought the barrel - and not try and sell it.
Old April 27, 2009, 02:20 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While no one on the face of the earth not aware could find the repairs to the rear stock on my Marlin 336, I would never pass it off as A-1. I would explain the wreck that broke it into 3 pieces and where the repairs are. I would never sell them off the gun as "replacement parts" if I were to sell the gun I would describe all flaws for the buyer.
5-10 bucks max in epoxy repaired condition max for your wood.
Brent