The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2006, 09:38 PM   #1
zahnzieh

boresighter for in-line?

Hello. I would be interested in knowing what you guys use for boresighting a scope for an in-line? The laser ones are expensive, but a good idea - I saw a new one at Cabela's that actually screws into the breech (replaces the plug). The mechanical ones are a lot cheaper but do not always fit muzzleloaders - and what size would you use - i heard the 20guage insert works the best for 50cal? Please advise thanks
Old December 11, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2
arcticap

I never used a bore sighter, but a 20 gauge bore is .615. There isn't any insert available for .50 cal.?
Old December 11, 2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Whisk

I've seen arbors for all the way up to 12 ga

What diff does it make if its for BP shotgun? Get an arbor that goes in muzzel or use magnet type like Leupold's.

But why would you need top boresitght shotgun (esp BP) anyway

BTW, 28 gage is around 55 cal. Thats about as close as I'vbe seen to 50 cal in Ga.

BTW, CAbellas has mechanicla arbors for muzzle that incl one for 50 cal. Uses lazer so you still need to go to range for elevation (100 yards to 200+)

Leupolds magnet boresighter is only one I've seen where you can do elevation very well. They work great on windage IMO but not for elevation. Gottal go to ranger for that.

http://www.lukefisher.com/napalm.wav
Old December 11, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

Not an exact science, but I use a penlight flashlight, dropped into the bore, and project a light on the wall in a dark place, at about 20 yards. I center my cross hairs into the center of the light, and that generally gets me on paper at about 25 yards. Then it's just rangetime to finish up.

Ain't real fancy, but it works.
Old December 12, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5
zahnzieh

boresighter for in line?

Thanks for the in-put guys. I tried the mechanical .50 arbor insert for my Simmons boresighting kit - fits very poorly. I like the idea of using a pen-light, I'll have to try that thanks
Old December 16, 2006, 06:11 PM   #6
maine bucks

Bore sighter

I use the Leupold magnetic bore site for all my guns with great results! Everything from My Greyhawk and Omega to my hunting rifles. It blows the old style bore sighters away. I am usually within the black circle when I go to the range and need sonly minor adjustment. Real ammo saver!!!
Old January 10, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
cheetah44

Don't need a bore sighter for in-line

For my TC Encore, I mounted the gun in my Caldwell Lead Sled and at about 40 yards I put a orange dot of about 1/2 inch diameter on a post. I took the breech plug out and cented the bore on the dot. Then I moved the crosshairs on the center of the dot and it was done. When I went to the range the bullet hit about 2 inches high and 2 inches left of the bullseye at 50 yards with the first shot. I've done this with a number of bolt action rifles as well and it's just as close or closer than with a bore sight job at the local gun store.

Good luck