The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2001, 11:01 AM   #1
ABowe

Browning BPS and Slugs

I looking at a BPS 12 gauge with 26" barrel. Nice gun and being I shoot left-handed the bottom ejection is a plus. According to the Browning web site shooting slugs is not advisable. This may cause me to change my mind. I don't want to buy a separate rifled barrel. Any suggestions out there. Are the Ithaca barrels back-bored? Thanks in advance for any help.

Al
Old December 12, 2001, 12:24 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ithaca Deerslayer bbls are like a tight full length, Full choke. Pre rifling, they were the best approach and gave excellent accuracy.
Old December 12, 2001, 09:23 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/bps/bps.htm

Al, I looked at the website and could not find any problems with shooting slugs. I have a M37 Ithaca and it's the same gun. No problems here.

You will find that a clamp on set of sights helps immensely in getting accuracy from your SG.

Giz
Old December 12, 2001, 11:06 PM   #4
Bam Bam

I have never shot slugs but Ted Nugent says that he uses slugs in his Browning for deer hunting in his book "God, Guns, and Rock and Roll." IIRC he even says it is a BPS.
Old December 13, 2001, 02:02 AM   #5
Will Beararms

Just don't use the sabot slugs made for rifled shotgun barrels. The 26" BPS is one of the best balanced bird guns I have ever had the privilege to own and shoot.
Old December 15, 2001, 06:43 PM   #6
JHG

http://www.browning.com/faqs/firearm...guns/qsh12.htm

This is a staement concerning slugs from Brownings Web Site.
Old December 15, 2001, 10:06 PM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

JHG's link mentions that Browning feels that back-bored shotguns should not use slugs. The BPS section states that all BPS shotguns except the Game guns are back bored. Ipso facto, I would not use slugs in a BPS.

Giz
Old December 16, 2001, 02:10 PM   #8
JHG

I would think the best approach would be to buy a different barrel for smooth bore slug use such as the one listed below.

Deer Special
12 GA
20 1/2" Barrel
Browning Part #111-205323
$296.00
Cylinder
3"
Gloss

I am planning to call Browning tomorrow and find out what they suggest.
My guess is that since the barrels are back bored accuracy would be horrible with a slug. The barrel listed above is not back bored ( At least I do not think it is ) but I will let you know what Browning has to say. I own a BPS myself and it is a fine firearm.
-JHG-
Old December 19, 2001, 11:21 AM   #9
JHG

I finally talked to Browning. They do not recommend slugs in the Backbore due to possible accuracy issues.
I am going to fire a few Foster's through my Backbored with an Improved Cylinder Choke and see what happens. (Film @ 11:00)
They do make an invector choke tube that is rifled for Sabot style slugs ($59.00)
They are supposed to call me back and let me know for sure about the barrel listed in the reply above. She did not think it was backbored.
-JHG-
Old December 20, 2001, 10:08 PM   #10
Ned Christiansen

Accuracy with the backbore must surely be the only consideration, because the BPS is a very sturdy gun. I put no less than 500 slugs a year through mine for at least 8 years, not to mention at least that much buckshot. It has done me very well.
Old December 23, 2001, 11:30 PM   #11
Adamantium

I actually got fairly good accuracy IMO out of my BPS. Mine is pretty much stock with just a sling and some clamp on fiber optic sights. When I took it out to my shooting place I was able to put within about 6 inches at 75 meters shooting freehand while being wet and cold. I was using the brenneke style PMC slugs, dunno if there would be a difference with the foster stlye slugs.

Sincerely,
Adam