The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 8, 2014, 03:47 PM   #1
roguetwelve12

1911A1 "G" production orders

Hi all,

Wartime 1911A1 question.

Was Colt the only manufacturer to stamp "G" onto their government contract receivers, or did other manufacturers do this as well? Am I correct that Colt stopped stamping the "G" in 1942?

I've got a 1944 Remingron Rand with a G stamped in the 3:00 position so I'm trying to solve that mystery too.

Thanks guys,

r12
Old June 8, 2014, 04:09 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Colt was the only company that made the gun for the commercial market, so the only one that had to make a distinction between contract guns and commercial guns. In 1942, Colt was making those guns only for the government, so there was no need for the distinction.

R-R would not have used the "G" mark for that reason, but it might either be an inspector mark or the frame might be Colt. What is the serial number?

Jim
Old June 8, 2014, 04:35 PM   #3
roguetwelve12

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for the response. It's definitely a RR frame (SN 17460XX and "FJA" ordnance marked on the left side of the frame) with the correct "NO." preceeding the SN for this time period.

The "G" is sideways stamped, with the bottom of the G oriented towards the right side of the pistol. Given that every other picture I've seen of government "G" stamps has the G oriented towards the back of the pistol, I'm inclined to agree with your line of thought that this is likely an inspectors mark.

Additional side-questions:

1) The recoil spring plug has no indentation/lip in it. Otherwise it appears genuine-period in every other facet. Any idea why this might be?

2) The slide has no internal markings/stampings whatsoever. It appears from Clawson/every other online source that this is correct, as nobody mentions internal markings on RR slides (outside of slide is marked normally, otherwise as a third style RR slide for this period. Am I correct that there should be no markings inside?

3) G-stamp question- In that case, would post-1942 Colts not have G stamps on the slides as well?

Sorry for the annoying questions. Just trying to learn.
Old June 8, 2014, 07:57 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

On the recoil spring plug, I would say it is a modern replacement. Makers today have no idea why that "dent" is in there so they just leave it out to save money.

I would assume that Colt dropped "G" marks entirely in 1942 as there would be no reason for them.

Jim
Old June 8, 2014, 08:41 PM   #5
roguetwelve12

Hi again Jim,

It makes sense to me that Colt would drop the G marks after 1942, but is their any evidence that they also stopped marking their slides? I just have a late 43/early 44 Colt and a 44 Colt both with slides without "G" marks, and I'm wondering if that should "concern" me at all.
Old June 9, 2014, 12:18 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If Colt dropped the G from the frame, why would they keep it on the slide? The same rationale would apply - ALL the guns being made were on government contract, so what need was there to mark any part with a "G"?

The only way those markings would concern me is if I paid extra for an original gun and there was some question about something else, such as the slide markings not jibing with the serial number.

Jim
Old June 9, 2014, 01:46 PM   #7
roguetwelve12

Hi Jim,

Nope, no extra money paid or anything like that. I'm just trying to get an idea of the guns themselves and keep a record of what on them might be "correct" as opposed to "incorrect" (which, in a lot of cases, is difficult to ascertain, I know!)