The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2014, 01:14 AM   #1
oneanddone

M&P, P226 mk25, and FNP9.

Hey all,
I humbly ask for your advice with a decision. I recently found out I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a Walther P99 before it expires on my states roster. As a back up I'm between these beauties as contenders for HD, the S&M M&P, Sig P226 mk25, and FNP9. I'm looking first and foremost for reliability (could operate out of the mud) then mechanical accuracy. Is there someone with experience shooting these that could give a relative newbie advice? Thanks guys!
Old January 29, 2014, 12:52 PM   #2
jmr40

At one time or another I've owned all but the mk25. Of the 3 I've owned I like the 226 the best. The M&P isn't a bad gun, I just like the similar Glock much better. I really wanted to like the FN. I do like the features, mine just didn't work as well for me as I had hoped.
Old January 29, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'm looking first and foremost for reliability (could operate out of the mud)
What kind of mud are we talking about?
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 29, 2014, 01:25 PM   #4
ATW525

I'm thinking that if you're worried about how your home defense gun works in mud, it might be time to hire a maid.
Old January 29, 2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Definitely the P226 or M&P. The FNP is a decent gun, but not in the same class.

I own both the MK25 and the M&P 9 Pro... both are awesome, but rather different animals at different price points. It really depends on what you're looking for. I'm not selling either of mine any time soon, that's for sure.

I think I like the MK25 better, but I actually shoot the M&P a little better. This is likely due to more trigger time on the M&P.
Old January 29, 2014, 02:16 PM   #6
mach1.3

I have both pistols the P226 mk25 and the M&P9. The real difference here is the Sig is hammer fired with DA/SA decocker mechanism and the M&P is striker fired DAO. Mine both have good triggers but I prefer the Sig in SA. The M&P is lighter in weight due to the polymer frame and does have the palmswell grips to change grip size as standard. The Sig has the options of short trigger and E2 grips for the shooters with smaller hands. The mk25 does have the internals coated in phosphate to make it more corrosion resistant. Both are good pistols---the Sig is >$.

BTW: The 226 has a 4.4" bbl and the full size M&P is 4.25". A small advantage in concealment??
Old January 29, 2014, 06:14 PM   #7
odugrad

For home defense, you can't beat the MK25. It's extremely reliable, super accurate, and comes with SIG night sights. I love them.
Old January 30, 2014, 02:00 AM   #8
ShaulWolf

I haven't had too many chances to fire Sigs, but I do like them quite a bit. My friend has used his Sig P226 in USPSA matches and done quite well with it. Awkward shooting positions, hot loads, rapid firing, and less than ideal shooting situations, and it functioned flawlessly. We didn't torture test it, but it was put through its paces pretty well.

My M&P did well, though the striker on it needs to be replaced from wear and tear. It's a first run M&P with a first gen striker, and the newer ones are a lot more durable from all accounts. Mine has been put through the same paces, and I've seen others take some hard abuse and run without issue.

As far as durability and functionality, both do well. The Sig has a DA/SA trigger, which some like and others detest. I rather like it, but I'd suggest trying it out yourself. The M&P acts like a DAO trigger, but it's a striker fired pistol, so it's not exactly a DAO. It has some grit when fresh out of the box, and mine broke right around 6 lbs. Throw in an Apex sear and you can probably get it between 4-5 lbs.
Old January 30, 2014, 09:28 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
The M&P acts like a DAO trigger, but it's a striker fired pistol, so it's not exactly a DAO. It has some grit when fresh out of the box, and mine broke right around 6 lbs. Throw in an Apex sear and you can probably get it between 4-5 lbs.
As a note, I was at a lgs a few days ago and they had finally gotten in a new shipment of M&Ps. For kicks I tried the trigger on one. It was notably improved from what I remember with mine when new. They already had worked on the break and reset, but there was no grit on this one at all. I didn't take it apart but part of me wonders if they redesigned the striker block.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 30, 2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Mystro

Get the Sig. You will notice a smoothness and inherent accuracy with it over the others.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 30, 2014, 09:50 AM   #11
SCDeac82

For pure reliability, probably the 226.

For a great gun for the dollar: the FNP. (U.S. made also.)

Good luck.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Tags
fnp-9 , m&p , p226 , sig 226 , smith & wesson