The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 04:57 PM   #26
simonrichter

Quote:
Why do I sense this might be a troll?
what is a troll, if I might ask out of off-topic curiosity?

Thanks for the other conrtibutions so far!
Old February 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #27
Pico

1911 also

Not a high end gun but a good ole mil spec .45.

Pico
Old February 2, 2013, 09:49 PM   #28
treg

I'll play, even though I'm a revolver guy at heart.

I would choose Glock based on it's durability, simplicity and extreme popularity. Parts supplies would probably come back first and there are a lot of them out there for donor guns if needed. Switching and swapping would be very easy. I'd customize and accurize as needed to make it the ideal pistol, but keep the stock parts JIC.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:56 PM   #29
tynman

Im going to have to go with Glock also.... My M27 hasnt failed me yet.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:08 PM   #30
eldermike

I would choose something without plastic parts. Given enough time with a hack saw, grinder and hammer there is not a single part that can't be replaced. But thinking about plastics, they all are in a constant state of change from good to bad, it's just a matter of time.

I do have two Glocks in my collection and a few others that use plastics.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:27 PM   #31
HKGuns

For reliability I'd choose one of my HK's, pick one as they're all utterly reliable and solidly built, my P30 shoots very clean as well.

For cleanliness I'd go with the FN Five-seveN as it is (by a wide margin) the cleanest shooting pistol I have ever seen and requires little to no cleaning as far as I can tell. It too has been reliable, but it doesn't have as many rounds through it as my HK's.

Revolvers are a nice choice as well, but they tend to get dirtier and they are complicated pieces of machinery.

Last edited by HKGuns; February 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:36 PM   #32
Billy the Kidder

Two G17s.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:44 PM   #33
DMK

CZ-75 9mm

My first handgun. Still have it. I don't know how many thousands of rounds. Never one problem with it. Old reliable.

Like it so much, recently got one in .40 as well.

Old February 3, 2013, 12:11 AM   #34
yoter

Beretta 92. I know, I've seen the throw it in the mud video, but mine goes boom every time.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:00 AM   #35
tristar viper

This is an easy one: GLOCK. My Glock has been the most maintenance free ANYTHING I have ever owned. Period. I'm talking Gen 3 here...I'm not totally sold on the Gen 4 myself.....at least not the Gen 4 G19.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:36 AM   #36
SnowTrekker

My oldest Glock is a model 17 that is now 20-years-old. It has not given me any trouble, although it may be time to change out the recoil spring. Your maintenance is going to have a lot to do with your round count. If you shoot a lot, over time something will eventually need to be replaced.

I think other pistols will also be good maintenance-free shooters. The Smith & Wesson M&P series are probably among them, many of the different H&K pistols, polymer framed Walthers, the Sig Sauers, and others.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:50 AM   #37
Dashunde

Glock... they can all be completely striped with only a wire coat hanger, many of the parts are interchangeable from one model to another and absolutely nothing requires hand-fitting or modifying.
Its remarkable how durable, long lasting and accurate they are considering how they are put together.

Oh... and for around 25 bucks you can gather up spares for most all of the common fail/wear prone parts.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:59 AM   #38
m&p45acp10+1

I would go for the old school Jerico 9mm. It has the fewest moving parts. Other than that my P64 in 9mm Mak. few moving parts, and it will get the job done in most cases.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:08 AM   #39
Vermonter

Two choices

Glock or smith revolver.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:16 AM   #40
Vermonter

Wait

Why does a fella from Austria even need to ask?
Old February 3, 2013, 12:00 PM   #41
edfrompa

Springfield 1911 stainless loaded, low maintain, very reliable. Yes it is a 45, 5 inch barrel.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:14 PM   #42
1hogfan83

Again, the HK is safer than the GLOCK, no trigger to pull. I have a Glock 22 and I'm not trying to be biased at all. Two M&P's Glock HK 642.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 3, 2013, 04:36 PM   #43
Rainbow Demon

Browning p-35.
The later model with external extractor and beefed up frame just to be on the safe side.
I'd avoid using NATO STANAG 9mm in any of the more common 9mm pistols regardless of manufacturer.

To be more certain of no suprises I'd use only ammo that has the cannelure below the bullet base to prevent backing in of the bullet.

With reasonable care and proper handling I can't see a P-35 actually wearing out in my lifetime.
Since the pistol is all steel other than the grips it could be restored or rebuilt practically endlessly, even if the frame had to be welded and recut.

The ramp type locking method is more durable than the linkage type of the 1911, though thats mainly theoretical. I have heard of a broken link though.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:51 PM   #44
RBid

Glock.

There are alternatives that are just as reliable, but factoring in availability of parts and ease of coffee table surgery, it's the safest bet.

This is from a guy who is a self-pronounced Walther guy.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:42 PM   #45
CTS

I carried a Colt 1911 for years and never had a problem with them.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:59 PM   #46
Lost Sheep

The O.P. is not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrichter

what is a troll, if I might ask out of off-topic curiosity?

Thanks for the other conrtibutions so far!
The term "troll" is derived from fishing, where fishing lines with multiple baited hooks will be dragged behind a boat to catch fish.

On the internet, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog. "Troll" may also be the message posted with the intent to disrupt or inflame a forum.

Trolling on a forum is rude.

By the way, I (and apparantly every other respondent to your question) disagree with your accuser.

My first response to your post was Thompson Contender. A single-shot pistol. Pure simplicity in its operation. There are a couple of rolling-block single shot pistols, too, but the T-C has the advantage of a selection of interchangeable barrels in a stunning variety of chamberings. Not much good for combat, but in a survival situation where hunting a variety of game for food is a concern, among handguns, it is a pretty good choice.

My second response was the Browning design of the Colt 1911 which developed the reputation of always firing when called upon, even after abuse. However, there are some spare parts you should keep on hand.

The Glock was designed for ease of maintenance, so those who mentioned it are not off-base either.

Lost Sheep
Old February 4, 2013, 01:41 AM   #47
jason_iowa

Springfield XD or Smith MP

both are superior to to glock in nearly every way.

Personally though I would go with a revolver. So much more versatile.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:50 AM   #48
armsmaster270

Sig 226 or 1911 as I have a full armorers kit on hand (unused except for recoil springs).
Old February 4, 2013, 10:23 AM   #49
rburch

Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD.

Really any quality handgun will serve you fine but those are probably the gold standard. I know people who have put close to 10,000 rounds through them with out bothering to even clean them.

That said whichever you decide to get, stock up some spare parts.

Any gun can fail.

At a minimum I'd have spares for all the springs.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #50
batmann

For a semi-auto---Has to be a Glock. As to caliber, that may be as important as the weapon itself. I have a Glock 22 (.40) with a supply of ammo and mags, but should the worse happen, I would not hesitate to change it to a 9MM (barrel and mags). The true beauty of a Glock is it's so simple and durable. The composite frame will out last us all.
IF I were limited to a revolver--my Ruger Flattop Blackhawk 50th in .357 would do very nicely as well.