The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 12, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
medford

need some advice on retrieving hand gun from police

my dad left his xd-40 in his hotel room in az. when he checked out. policy of the hotel is to call local police and have them come take possesion of the gun and make a report. i was wondering if this has happened to anyone or if anyone knows what the procedure might be for getting it back.
Old July 12, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Technosavant

You'll probably need to contact the police department in question for information as to how they go about such things. My guess is the hotel told the police as to who was in the room and they will want to see some ID. I'd also anticipate a bit of a lecture about leaving such things lying around, but otherwise I'd not expect it to be too much trouble.
Old July 12, 2011, 09:06 AM   #3
csmsss

I'm embarassed to say this happened to me in Baltimore County, MD. Fortunately I was still within twenty miles of the hotel when I realized my mistake and called the hotel to let them know (which turned out to be a mistake, since the next thing they did was call the Baltimore County Sheriff. I had to wait there until a deputy arrived, who grilled me at length with questions he shouldn't have been asking. His blatant ignorance of federal and Maryland firearms laws was staggering. Eventually what satisfied him that I was free to take my pistol and go is that I possessed a valid Texas CHL (which isn't honored in Maryland or my travel destination either). He also had no idea why I unloaded the pqistol prior to putting it back into its case for travel. Moron. But his ignorance made it slightly easier and faster for my family to resume its travels, so I wasn't about to edumacate him.