The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

My first rounds..

Finally loaded my first rounds.

I loaded 20 rounds today for my 223. I loaded 10 rounds with 24.3gr of h335 with a 40gr h-vmax wsr primers. and 10 more the same thing but 25.1gr of h335. I seated the bullet to 2.230"

Everything went pretty smooth I weighed each time to make sure I was getting the right amount of powder thrown. Maybe eventually I will loosen up.

Thank you everyone for your help!! If anything with the load seating depth or anything doesn't look right let me know!! I will be waiting a few weeks to get out there and shoot them. Snow melting! a little too wet to set up the chrono and all.

I was nervous loading but now I am going to be really nervous to pull the trigger the first time!!

Thanks again!!
Old March 13, 2007, 05:58 PM   #2
rickh

Bolt action of AR15?
Either way, mind where your face is the first round or two!
The OAL seems long to me, thats why I asked about bolt or AR.
Rick H...
Old March 13, 2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Kato_Guy

it is for a bolt action.

too long for a 40gr or bolt action???

Last edited by Kato_Guy; March 13, 2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:43 PM   #4
rickh

Well not sure..
Speer #13 manual calls for a Max Cart Length of 2.260"
And a test 40 grain OAL of 2.060"
I load for any AR15 Semi Auto and use 2.19 OAL and works good for MY firearm.
I suppose if they chamber and you can close the bolt ok and eject ok....
Maybe someone else laoding for a .223 Bolt can chime in.
Rick H...
Old March 13, 2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Kato_Guy

Everything closes fine and everything. the only thing I am thinking is that since I am not crimping I may not be deep enough. My book from hornady says 2.200" I spose I prolly should just start with that and go from there.
Old March 13, 2007, 11:28 PM   #6
mrawesome22

Take a empty case. Cut a vertical slit in the neck, barely into the shoulder, with a hacksaw. Barely seat the bullet you want to use in this case with your hands. Chamber this round in your rifle. Eject it with your hand covering the ejection port. Take it out and measure it from base to tip with your calipers. This will give you MAX OAL (over all length) for that bullet. In other words, this bullet is touching the rifling. Now you can experiment with different seating depths. I've found that my rifles usually gives best accuracy .030" away from the rifling. But you'll just have to experiment as to what shoots the best out of your gun. This method works very well and you don't have to waste money on a Stoney Point guage.

This method works very well to determine where you are from the rifling.
Old March 14, 2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Kato_Guy

I am using a 40gr bullet I cannot extend the bullet safely out far enough to touch the lands.

my question is should I start with the 2.200" that My book says or can I go with my 2.231" that I am seated at now.

I have read two different lenghts in two books one says for a 40gr h-vmax 2.200" the other says 2.215" as long as my bullet is seated far enough into the case to hold tight (I am not crimping) and do not go below the 2.200" I should be ok ????

This bullet I am using will not extend to the lands and I am not trying to extend it to the lands I am trying to figure out which lenght I should start at as of what these darn books say.
Old March 14, 2007, 08:56 AM   #8
rwilson452

As long as you don't go below 2.200 you should be fine. The bullet in any case should not extend deeper than the neck, nor should it cause a compressed load unless a compressed load is indicated by your data manual.
Old March 14, 2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Kato_Guy

thank you thats what I wanted to hear!!!

I was just a little worried about the whole thing about everyone seats theirs up close to the lands and if I am away from the lands is there going to be issues with that.

thanks everyone!!
Old March 14, 2007, 11:50 AM   #10
rwilson452

The reason for getting closer to the lands is for accuracy not safety. When you extend the bullet out beyond SAMMI spec. the effect is to increase the volume of the case. This will result in lower pressures not higher. When you push the the bullet further into the case you reduce volume thus increase pressure. In your case your using such a short bullet SAMMI spec. can be misleading. The Min OAL assumes that the bullet will not protrude too far into the case In your case using such a short bullet it give you a lot of room on OAL as when reducing OAL it's the back of the bullet that counts not the pointy end. SAMMI spec for Max length just means if you stay within that length it will fit in the chamber of any chamber made to SAMMI spec. Most MFG make the leade or throat longer than SAMMI requires to insure any commercial round will chamber.

Sadly, this practice doesn't do anything for accuracy.
Old March 14, 2007, 01:08 PM   #11
mrawesome22

Yes there will be an issue from being too far away from the lands. You're rounds will not be nearly as accurate.