The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
DarthSmokey

9mm barrel/ slide on .40 S&W SIG P226?

I own (2) SigSauer P226 pistols - 1 in 9mm, the other in .40 S&W / .357 Sig.
I want to be able to shoot all 3 calibers without having to take both pistols. I regularly switch between .357 Sig & .40 S&W. I know that I can't drop the factory 9pm barrel into the .40 slide. However, is it possible to transplant my 9mm barrel/slide assembly onto the .40 S&W frame, and use the factory 9mm magazine?
Or, is the only way to pill this off to use the Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel?
Old January 14, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2
oldkim

So just try it....

The 9mm barrel will not work on the larger frame (40/357Sig).

I have the 3 calibers for my P229. It is a BarSto barrel. You can not get a factory barrel to do this.

So get a conversion barrel.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old January 14, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
bamaranger

extractor issue

Since the case head of the 9mm and .40 are different sizes, there are extractor issues to consider.

The "hook" will not grab the different case sizes, they are case specific, so your conversion is a no go, unless you are willing to swap extractors at each range session, which is considered an armorer level task, but more practically, a pain and not worth it.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:06 AM   #4
spoolup

A good friend has a 226 and a bar-sto conversion barrel, he has no issues, he does use a 9mm magazine. As for my SIG experiance, I have none other than shooting both calibers. I however do have a conversion for my XDm and swap between 40, 357 and 9. I have even screwed up and used a 40 mag at the range with 9mm bullets, it worked fine for over 100 rounds before I realized the notch missing down the side of the mag. But I do know that there is a SIG 226 9mm "conversion" barrel, and my friends works fine. No change of extractor, but do use a 9mm magazine.

As for the previous poster.. yes, maybe you may recieve an occasional malfunction (I never have) but for carry or defensive use, use the 40, but for range time use 9 or 40.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/bar-sto-..._p226-9mm.html

http://www.topgunsupply.com/bar-sto-barrels/

Tags
.40 , 9mm , conversion , p226 , sig