The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2012, 06:27 PM   #26
tul9033

I agree I think both are excellent and both can have issues.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:40 AM   #27
eddyb74

Speaking of primer brands in the Dillon press. About two years ago I was loading .45 ACP in my 650 using Winchester large pistol primers. I kept getting jams in my fill tubes. When I called Dillon to get replacement tubes the guy I talked to said (without saying the company name) there is a certain brand of primer that have been causing all kinds of jams lately. I've been using CCI since and have been saving Dillon money by not having to send me new fill tubes every week.

On a side note, I picked up some Federal primers this past week (large and small) and cannot believe the size of the packaging. They take up three time as much space in my cabinet. Then I opened one up. Who the hell designs these things? What an absolute pain in the ass to put in the flip tray compared to CCI and Winchester. For those that have never used Federal, they are in the tray on edge. They went everywhere when I flipped the first one. I guess I'll have to get a bigger flip tray If I continue to buy Federal. Anybody know if they make one the size of a dinner plate?
Old December 7, 2012, 05:49 AM   #28
rajbcpa

I have 4 local gun shops in my area. For the last 3 months, only one shop has stocked SPP - Federal only - at $37 per box.

Yeh, the boxes are big... but the cost and lack of supply is a bigger pain.

Old December 7, 2012, 06:36 AM   #29
Shootest

Quote:
They went everywhere when I flipped the first one. I guess I'll have to get a bigger flip tray If I continue to buy Federal. Anybody know if they make one the size of a dinner plate?
Dillon makes one, solid brass, cost lots $, will last forever.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:48 AM   #30
Misssissippi Dave

I have the Dillon large alum. flipper tray. It handles the Federal primers well. Winchester and the rest are easy too. Federal primers do flip pretty fast compared to some other brands. I now have some Tulammo primers to try out. I heard they work well and PV had them for about $20 per thousand in pistol. I put an empty .45 case on the end of the plastic primer rod and have not had any feed issues since. The case stays in place pretty well too. The slight added weight was all that was needed. So far I have used CCI, Remington, Federal and Winchester pistol primers. I also keep the shuttle area clean of junk.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:23 AM   #31
hounddawg

RCBS Primer Tray -6 to 7 bucks. just the right size for Federal. green plastic of course but it works well
Old December 7, 2012, 06:01 PM   #32
Vance

I had a problem with primers of any brand getting jammed in the primer pick up tube. I only use small primers so was using the small primer pick up tube. I was using the plastic stick that sits on top of the primers in the feed tube while loading to push them through. That bothered me so I got a .17 caliber brass cleaning brush and used gun bore cleaning fluid with the brush and ran it through the pick up tube several times and then ran patches through until they came out clean. Haven't had a problem with primers getting jammed in it since.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:44 PM   #33
308Prepper

I recently had a Lock-n-Load for a very short time. Never could get it dialed-in. Primer seating issues was the main problem I had. Even after doing all the mods found here and elsewhere. Others have had great sucess. Unfortuently I did not. Replaced it with Dillon XL 650, and have had great sucess. Anyhow, it looks good mounted besides my 20+ year old Square Deal B!

Old January 1, 2013, 09:28 AM   #34
rajbcpa

My Dillon 550 is working well with no issues. The LNL never ran, so I dumped it.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:43 PM   #35
dickttx

Dillon makes one, solid brass, cost lots $, will last forever.

I have a plastic one I paid $2 for in 1968 and it still works fine. Guess that is not forever though.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:59 PM   #36
hounddawg

I am glad to hear you finally got your Dillon running correctly rajbcpa, as I recall last summer it was giving you a fit.

Anyway my LnL still works pretty good. Yesterday I thought I had a issue with it but it turned out the problem was with the brass I was processing. I was going to use it to pre prime some .204 cases with it and for some reason the primers were sitting high. They were Winchester cases so I dug out one of my Hornady .204 cases and it primed fine, did a .223 using the same shell plate and again it primed fine. Must be that Winchester brass. No big issue since I process all my rifle except .223 plinking on my single stage but lately I have been using the Hornady to pre prime all my brass. I just pre primed .223 with what I had left in that primer tube then hand primed the Winchester stuff. I can go through a tray of 100 primers in about 10 minutes including the pick up and load time using that LnL. I go a lot slower when doing a full cartridge load but for pre priming it smokes.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:59 PM   #37
sc928porsche

I have friends that have both Dillon and Hornady. They work well. Personally, I have 2 Lee Loadmasters. One for small primer and the other for large primer. They work flawlessly! Perhaps I read and followed the instructions correctly. They even tell you what lube to use (important......no substitute for STP) and where to use it. If you are going to toss out a Loadmaster, toss it my way!
Old January 1, 2013, 10:26 PM   #38
Jammer Six

That is a seriously clean loading bench, and this concerns me.

Porsche, your sig says you've never met my apprentice.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:38 PM   #39
Xfire68

I can't knock a Dillon in any way as I have never used one because they are beyond my pocketbook's capacity. The caliber conversions are what kept me away.

I have had all of the small and big issues with the LNL and all have been fixed. The LNL runs (Now) like a Swiss watch!

I even got the case feeder to behave.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:58 AM   #40
Shootest

Quote:
I have a plastic one I paid $2 for in 1968 and it still works fine. Guess that is not forever though.

Is it big enough to fit the Federal primer box, like he was asking, I don’t think so. And if it is where did you get it, who made it? You really should try to be helpful instead of quoting out of context.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #41
dickttx

Wow Shootest, didn't mean to step on your toe.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:41 PM   #42
schmellba99

Quote:
Is it big enough to fit the Federal primer box, like he was asking, I don’t think so. And if it is where did you get it, who made it? You really should try to be helpful instead of quoting out of context.
I have a green RCBS plastic primer tray that seems to work just fine with even the Federal packaged primers.

It's not hard to slide the box out and have all of the primers easily end up in a normal sized primer tray.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Vance

I also have a green primer flip tray from RCBS and have no problems getting federal primers onto it.