The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 3, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Nosparetime

How long should it take to get my Paperwork.

First week of July I took my paperwork in to the local Sheriff. Found out he signed it two days later but, I didn't get it picked up until the first week of August.

Took the paperwork to the dealer and he should have sent it off that week.

I still don't have anything from the Fed's.

Is there a way to track the status?

It is my first suppressor.

Thanks I am getting anxious.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
rjrivero

Your Examiner

Examiners are now assigned by state, instead of alphabetically.

Oregon's examiner is Sandra Snook.

You can see NFA data at NFAtracker.com.

Looks like Sandra Snook's turn around time is about 153 days on average. That's, what, about 5 months? Should be any day now, huh?
Old December 3, 2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Don H

Have you verified that the dealer actually sent in the forms and the date sent?
Old December 4, 2011, 01:39 AM   #4
David Hineline

When your personal check for the $200 tax clears your bank you know it is processing, then if you do not have it at 120 days from then, you can call the ATF NFA branch with the serial number and ask them, if the seller marked the box on the form 4 saying ATF can give that imformation out to the buyer.
Old December 9, 2011, 03:48 PM   #5
benfishin

Form 4 lag time

I talked to the NFA today and was told that turnaround time is now 5 months. I signed my form and submitted with a gun trust mid July. They said that it was still awaiting approval and should be the end of December. Good thing that my dealer let me shoot my SBR or I would have forgotten how cool it looked.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #6
HotGuns

I've got a bunch of suppressors in my safe that are getting real close to 6 months.

6 months.
Old December 11, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Just took possession of my SBR and AOW. 6 months.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Nosparetime

Talked to my dealer Sat. He recently called about something else. They are quoting 6 to 7 months.

He said there is only 7 people for all of the US. Same as they had 15 years ago.

The shows on TV and ads in the gun mags has really upped to sales.

I am sure there was a pent up demand in WA also. Now that it is legal there finally.

Patiently waiting!!
Old December 17, 2011, 07:08 AM   #9
blume357

I guess the simple thing to do would be to cut the number of reviewers down to one and have a 5 to 10 year waiting period...... seems like they should have a limited time to process the form or just issue it.
Old December 17, 2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Skans

At least 3 months from the time they receiver your application / check clears. Up to 4 months. If it takes longer than 4 months, give your examiner a call.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Willie Lowman

Skans, you haven't done any transfers lately have you?

5 to 6 months is the norm.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:46 PM   #12
benfishin

of course, depending on your location, any feeling on how long it takes to get the stamped form 4 back after it has been approved?
Old April 26, 2012, 08:06 AM   #13
Nosparetime

Finally got my suppressor on April 23.

Application to the Sheriff first week of July. They signed it in two days but, I did not get the phone call to pick the paperwork up.

Application to the Dealer first week of August.

Dealer called 3rd week of May said the application was ok'd but, I needed to take it back to the Sheriff because they need to add a word to make the ATF NFA happy.

Got that done. Went on vacation. Went to pick up the suppressor and the dealer had closed his shop. Found dealer and picked it up.

10 months from start to finish. Actually about 8 months in the hands of the ATF.

Got to screw it on my AR and put a few rounds thru it. IT WORKS

Hope to shoot it some more this week end.
Old April 26, 2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Deja vu

They quoted me 6-8 months a few days ago. Looks like its October- December for me. Just in time to miss hunting season. I was so looking forward to hunting deer with my suppressed 45/70 Marlin.

p.s. yes this is my first suppressor I started with my hunting rifle cause it is the only rifle that I ever shoot with out hearing protection on. Any thing to make it quieter will help. The fact that I have 4 other guns in the same caliber helps too.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 30, 2012, 01:32 AM   #15
TennTexan

The gun shop near my house said the two most recent Form 4s they received took 7 and 7.5 months respectively. I spoke with a gentleman from Arizona yesterday who said the paperwork for his Gemtech took 8 months. He got his stamp back just last week.

The ridiculous wait times were a frequent topic of discussion at the "Silencers Are Legal" shoot in Dallas yesterday. The American Silencer Association said they will be meeting in Washington very soon with the ATF and some members of Congress to discuss what can be done to streamline the approval process and shorten the wait. Rest assured there are people who are actively working to improve the NFA approval process. It's just going to take some time...

In my opinion, a silencer should be transferable on a 4473 the same as a normal firearm. The $200 tax could be collected by the dealer at the time of purchase to ensure that Uncle Sugar gets his cut. There's also no good reason why the item couldn't be registered with ATF at the time of purchase. Fill out the form, pay the tax and the price of the can, pass a NICS check, and go home with a shiny new toy. No fuss, no muss, no unconscionable almost-but-not-quite-a-year wait. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?
Old April 30, 2012, 04:29 AM   #16
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Rest assured there are people who are actively working to improve the NFA approval process. It's just going to take some time...
Just wait while we try to make the wait shorter.

Seriously, we need more examiners.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Atomix

I've been through the process 5 times (currently waiting on the 6th one), and my average wait time (from the time I wrote the ATF a check) has been 152 days. My shortest wait was 67 days in the Fall of 2010.