The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
405FileFound

Speedloader mod that will change it all

Ive been away for a while but I wanted to show off my speedloader mod. I have a SW 649 with some detailing of the rear site with bright non-relfective enamel. Not true Hi-Viz but an step up from shiny steel. Also the front site was dovetailed and filled with red ramp goo.

Now for reloading.
I came up with this HKS speedloader improvement about 4 to 5 years ago and now I will share it with the revolver community. Too make a long story short, the knob of the HKS, which for my 36-A is no bigger than ten dimes stacked upon each other, doesnt make it easy to grab them, and when you do, its with pinched fingers as if you were picking a Jolly Rancher off the floor.

I went to the autoparts store and tried out a few guages of heater hose. I found the right fit (that I had to fight to get onto the knob), and had the lady cut six sections of 3/4" tubes. I fit em onto all of my HKS's and the results are amazing. $10 later and I transformed the HKS into sort of a Comp II Safariland loader, at least in that it has a longer handle.

There's more area to grab onto, and the rigid heater hose means that with all five ports filled, the HKS is front-heavy because the center of gravity is improved. Try holding five 357s level to the floor in your HKS and notice how strong of a grip it takes to keep it from slipping. My pictures speak for themselves! I think this is a worthwhile improvement, you should give it a shot!

http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/...rmod1oct08.jpg

http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/...KSBianchi2.jpg

http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/...649andammo.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedloader mod 2.jpg (129.5 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by 405FileFound; October 15, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added cooler pix
Old October 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Straightshooter629

Have do they fit in a leather speed loader holder? Looks like the fit might be a little tight.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
405FileFound

SS629, good point!

I didnt htink of that - I dont have the speedloader pounches by Bianchi that are available online in ebay, etc. I have a old camera case that has been transformed into a spdldr pouch with the loader knobs inside the flap (see attached). I also have a compass pouch that I rigged up with lots of velcro, and the speedloader knobs poke outside of the flap. I inlcuded in the montage is a pic of an actual Bianchi (I think thats the manufacturer) with the flaps that cover the loaders. I think it might be a tight fit with my heater hose addition but then it looks as if the flap on the factory pouch might have some flexibility. So my loader knob mod might be limited in terms of using those pounches, esp if you use the taller 357s. Hmm good point, but for pocket or jacket carry, or drawer accessibility as I do, the increased height of my knob mods wouldnt interefere. But I dont use those factory speedloader pouches so it was never an issue. Good point for sure. Let me know what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tons of spls.JPG (47.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg HOSE SIDE.jpg (36.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by 405FileFound; October 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old October 15, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4
405FileFound

help with pix

Can someone tell me how to place a pic inside of the thread so that it appears without having to have a link or an attachment? thx
Old October 16, 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Bob Wright

If they ever make one for a Ruger Blackhawk, I'll give that a try!

Bob Wright
Old October 16, 2012, 02:18 PM   #6
g.willikers

Great idea, simple and effective.
Thanks.
For holders, I use home made ones from pvc tubing and metal hangers that attach them to a thick belt.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Tinner666

"Can someone tell me how to place a pic inside of the thread so that it appears without having to have a link or an attachment? thx"

Click on the paperclip at the top of the reply box and browse your computer to the pic you want and upload it.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:15 PM   #8
405FileFound

This still doesnt work, it only appears as an attachment. I served in the Army and I also finished college... I should be able to figure it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grips 023.5.jpg (76.5 KB, 31 views)
Old October 16, 2012, 09:16 PM   #9
spanishjames

After you download your picture as an attachment, go to the Additional Options box below the Reply to thread box.

Right click on the attachment name (your picture), and select Copy Shortcut. Then click on the Insert Image Icon and paste the shortcut there. Just make sure there's only one "http//" in the line. That usually works for me.

You can also practice in the Software and Function Testing area:http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

This rifle isn't mine, but I saved the picture for some reason.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rossi.jpg (211.4 KB, 310 views)
Old October 18, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
GP100man

Yep , load em up at photobucket then use the link to the pic with [IMG] at each end.

Just cut & paste it in ya thread & pics will show up as this :

Old October 20, 2012, 03:29 PM   #11
seeker_two

Quote:
If they ever make one for a Ruger Blackhawk, I'll give that a try!

Bob Wright
SKS stripper clip....holds 10 rounds of .38/.357....feeds a Blackhawk PDQ....

...you could probably take a pair of pliers & modify them for .45Colt/.44SPL/.44MAG use.....
Old October 21, 2012, 08:44 AM   #12
BLUETIP

Dropped a jolly rancher or two in my time as well never had to worry about picking them up, 92 pound black lab.
good idea on the loaders
Old October 21, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Sport45

Once a picture is saved as an attachment you can click the picture icon at the top of the post editing area and paste the address into the empty box.

Tags
38 spl , 649 , hks , j frame , speedloader