The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 13, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
ISC

EIC match coming up in August...

My unit had our annual qualification last month. It was OK, we shot at popups from 50M-300M and I got a 35 out of 40. A little disappointing, but it was enough to tie for top shooter for the day. Still it was a wake up that marksmenship is a perishable skill and I haven't been shooting much lately. I think practicing the popups would help since you'd know where the targets will be showing up at I had some trouble with my glasses fogging up and . slipping down into my field of view when shooting from the prone. It's a problem I have alot and I keep saying I'm going to get contacts or look into LASIK but still haven't done it.

The day after qualification those of us on the marksmenship team were allowed to practice for the statewide EIC competition in August. Since we didn't have a KD range we shot at the 25M target with smaller targets to simulate the range. It was trigger time, and that's good, but we didn't have the movement that is such a big part of the actual competition.

In the EIC competition you are required to start at a point and progressively move closer to the target each round. You have to shoot from a variety of positions and transition from standing to kneeling etc. Also, after shooting you have to start walking to the next firing line and when the whistle blows run the last 50 M or so, take the appropeiate shooting postition, and engage your target. Thats pretty hard to do on a 25 M range, but I'm going to try to simulate the physical factor as best as I can.

Anyone want to offer their techniques to train for this sort of competition? Last year I made it to Nationals (mostly on the strength of pistol shooting)but didn't even score in the top half for most of the rifle events.
Old June 18, 2008, 12:15 AM   #2
kraigwy

You are talking about the military 4 pt legs. If you are really interested in EIC matches get with your state Rifle and Pistols Assn. and shoot high power matchs. Thats where one really learns to shoot. I'm assuming your state will send a team to the Wilson Matches. Its ruff shooting for the Army/Army Ng and Reserve. All but 10 points have to be at hard legs, meaning at Cp Robinson, All Army or Perry. BUT, high power will give you a leg up (pardon the pun).

Remember high power was started pretty much by nationa guard officers concerned about the quality of marksmanship of the military after the Spanish American war. Along about 1903, at Perry. As the quote goes
regarding high power:

"Adopt it. Follow in the order and sequense in which it is presented. If followed consecientiously it will develope into a nail driving, fast hitting rifleman" COL Townsend Whelen, THE HUNTING RIFLE, 1940
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071