The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old October 16, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Fly320s

2009 SWAT calendar

I received my 2009 SWAT calendar, along with the November 2008 issue, today.

While I do like the idea of a free calendar, I am disappointed with it. It is just an advertising piece. There are a few good photos, especially Larue Tactical's, but the majority looks bulk-mail flyers.

I understand that there is a significant cost to SWAT to produce the calendar, so it makes sense that SWAT would like to reduce those costs by charging advertisers to be in the calendar. But, frankly, the ads don't work on me. Rarely am I influenced by an ad whether it is in print or via broadcast.

Unfortunatly, SWAT and it's advertisers have wasted money and time on this calendar; I won't use it.

The calendar aside, I do enjoy SWAT magazine and I will continue to subscribe to it.
Old October 17, 2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

You have a point, but remember the last calendar? They got gigged for that one, too, and it was the opposite--pictures of beautiful women (clothed women!) alternated with more subtle advertising pictures. People said they were exploiting women (or maybe exploiting men, depending on how you look at it.) Either way, a lot of people thought it was inappropriate.

I don't know that that's the reason they made the change, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old October 18, 2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Jeff Randall

I can't speak for any of the SWAT staff when it comes to this, but my input would be to simply ask what everyone wants to see on the next calendar? One thing's for sure: there is no pleasing everyone when it comes to this type of project, but input would help.

In my opinion, a lot of people get wound way too tight when it comes to "girly" calendars, implying the poses/girls/whatever are not "realistic" even though the focus is the girl, IMO. Let one girl have her finger on the trigger of a weapon, or web gear on an otherwise naked body and we have committed a cardinal sin. The Safety Gods will come out in droves to nail you to the cross shouting from the hilltop "That's not realistic!!", as if the calendar is a training flash card to be used at their next tough guy training event. Screw 'em is what I say. Calenders = artistic license, IMO. If I had my way about it we would have nude women with big guns on the calendar, and they're finger may or may not be on the trigger depending on what looked the best photographically as well as making the girl look sexy.
Old October 18, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4
ARGarrison

I won't agrue with a free calender. I susbcribe for the content of the magazine. I did like the "Tactical Pistol Training Tips" DVD from Valhalla trainging I got with my last renewal.

I have liitle use for the calender also, I have two Dillon 2009 on order.
ARGarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Calendar problems aside - nice cover shot as usual, Jeff (and GPS article.)
Mal H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Fly320s

No doubt about it, the magazine is excellent. The calendar... so-so.

I have to agree about the Dillon calendar.