The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 11, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
mbyte22

Old Guns identification and value

I have two old guns That I cant identify fully. One is a Dexter Smith Shotgun (dont know the gauge but 20 gauge is too small and 12 gauge wont go into the barrel). It does say the patent date (Pat. Jan 8 & Oct 1, 67 Feb 14 & March 7, 71).

The second gun is a remington pump .22 short, long or long rifle. Pedersens patents Jan’Y5, 1909. It has an octagon barrel.

Does anyone know where I can find info on these guns and what value they might be? They are not in the best of shape but If they dont have much value I might restore them.

Here are some pictures,

Thanks,

mbyte22
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dexter close.jpg (210.6 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg remington close.jpg (203.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg remington wide.jpg (236.5 KB, 109 views)
Old June 11, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, it could be a 14, 15, 16, or 18 gauge, or possibly even a .64 Maynard. Hard to tell, all were available around that time, more or less.

Most likely, though, is either a 14 gauge or a 16 gauge.

The Remington is, I believe, a Model 12 slide action. Very popular, very well made, very well thought of .22s. I'm thinking it should be marked somewhere with a model number.

Yours is probably one of the earlier ones in that it has a perch belly stock, and those seemed to fall out of favor with the shooting public after World War I.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 11, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
30-30remchester

Dont know about the Dexter, however have owned many of the 22 rifles over the years. It is an early model 12 C Remington. These are very well built high quality firearms, the likes are not built any longer. However its condition is not very good. Though it could be cleaned up and used as a shooter it, it has little value as anything but a shooter in its present condition. $150 to $175 would be a fair price.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I Googled "Dexter Smith gun" and turned up some interesting info, including the fact that Dexter Smith was the son of Horace Smith of Smith & Wesson.

I doubt the gun has much value, but they are known, so it is not just another hardware store brand.

Jim
Old June 12, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
mbyte22

Guns

Thanks for the info on the Remington, Im surprised I cant get much info on the Dexter Smith shotgun. I also did some research on the gun and cant get much on it. I did find another one for auction that is getting some good bids of course its in much better condition than mine. Would It improve in value if I restored it? Here is the gun for auction:

http://www.a-gun.com/guninfo.cfm?pro...=6&do=category

Thanks,

mbyte22
Old June 13, 2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Saxman

My Dexter Smith shotgun is 14 Ga. Serial No 1855. It is between your piece, and the auction one in terms of condition. Mine was missing the side lever, and I made one up from a pice of steel I had lying around in the junk bin. It is not the correct shape, though. When I inherited this firearm in 1973, I wrote to Mr Frank DeHaas, the author of Single Shot Rifles and Actions, because he described one in that book. He sent me a sketch of the proper side lever. He also noted that the top of the lever has an inset oval checkered portion. My shotgun also has a missing firing pin, and firing pin retaining screw. One of these days, I will get around to making those.

I note, also, my shotgun has a checkered grip, while neither yours nor the auction piece have this detail. I believe this is a factory checkering job,as my great grandfather would not have had someone do that for him, and was not a good enough craftsman to have done it himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.JPG (47.5 KB, 70 views)