The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 17, 2016, 09:30 PM   #1401
NINEX19

I have been reading this thread closely over the past week or so.
I have been trying to locate an SP101 in .327 Fed. for a few years. I finally found a new 4.2" and bought it sight unseen about 3 weeks ago. I paid top price for it, and have yet to fire it because there is a firing pin issue with it and I sent it back to Ruger. This is the first time I have had to send a gun back to the manufacturer after 25 years of buying an shooting. I was very disappointed.

I am happy to read FrankenMausers experience with Ruger and his .327, so I am confident I will get it back soon, better than new. I sure hope they don't scrap it and say they can not replace it. I just bought @$300 in reloading supplies specifically for this caliber.

It sure seems this caliber is a bit past its prime, which I think is a huge loss. I will probably be buying any .327 Fed or .32 H&R that comes my way from now on seeing that they are so scarce. About a year ago I passed up on a .32 H&R single 7 for $425. ANIB with ivory handles. I still regret that decision.

The LCR in this caliber does not really interest me at this time as I am not looking for a new CC piece and I really feel this caliber needs the longer barrel, but if one came along for the right price, I will reconsider.

Like others have said previously, I would be all over this in a lever action.
Old June 17, 2016, 09:48 PM   #1402
heyjoe

Quote:
FrankenMauser

I'm curious about LCR serial numbers.

Having noticed the other day that my serial number falls with the "approximate" first 60 produced, it made me wonder where the other LCRs on this forum come in.

Ruger started at "approximately" 547-08400 for the .327 Federal LCR and the serial number block does not interchange with other models/variants.

Where does your serial number fall?
First 100?
First 1000? (If they even made 1000...)E]
mine falls within the first 270 according to that approximate start range.
Old June 18, 2016, 04:50 PM   #1403
FrankenMauser

Interesting.
Need more data, so we can make wild assumptions about the production run!

Quote:
I have been reading this thread closely over the past week or so.
I have been trying to locate an SP101 in .327 Fed. for a few years. I finally found a new 4.2" and bought it sight unseen about 3 weeks ago. I paid top price for it, and have yet to fire it because there is a firing pin issue with it and I sent it back to Ruger. This is the first time I have had to send a gun back to the manufacturer after 25 years of buying an shooting. I was very disappointed.

I am happy to read FrankenMausers experience with Ruger and his .327, so I am confident I will get it back soon, better than new. I sure hope they don't scrap it and say they can not replace it. I just bought @$300 in reloading supplies specifically for this caliber.
I wish you the best. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

At the same time that Ruger had my 4.2" SP101, there were several other .327 SP101s sent in to Ruger by other members here. All had seemingly simpler issues to fix, but mine is the only one that I read/heard about getting returned. At least two other owners got the usual 'scrap' treatment: "We'll give you something similar as a replacement, at half price."

I have wondered if the others were used as parts donors for my revolver, since some of the replaced parts didn't actually appear to be new.
Old June 18, 2016, 05:01 PM   #1404
NINEX19

Quote:
At the same time that Ruger had my 4.2" SP101, there were several other .327 SP101s sent in to Ruger by other members here. All had seemingly simpler issues to fix, but mine is the only one that I read/heard about getting returned. At least two other owners got the usual 'scrap' treatment: "We'll give you something similar as a replacement, at half price."

I have wondered if the others were used as parts donors for my revolver, since some of the replaced parts didn't actually appear to be new.
Not what I want to hear. They recieved it 12 days ago (including weekend). I have yet to hear of any progress. I called last Thursday for an update and the only thing they could tell me was that it was on the supervisors desk. I hope that is not a precurser to bad news.

Since these are still in their current catalog, I would assume that a direct replacement could be had. I don't want anything else, I want my SP101 in .327. That is why I spent more than I should have in the first place on getting this elusive firearm new.
Old June 18, 2016, 08:53 PM   #1405
FrankenMauser

I'd say it should be headed back your way or you should be getting a phone call on Monday, given the amount of time that they've had it. Normally, major delays are only encountered for repairs requiring barrels or cylinders to be ordered (in my experience).

Hopefully the 'supervisor's desk' is not as bad as it implies.

What was the 'firing pin issue' you encountered?
Old June 18, 2016, 09:34 PM   #1406
NINEX19

Quote:
What was the 'firing pin issue' you encountered?
The firing pin would not retract. Even with force, it was stuck in the "strike" position. I have never seen anything like it before. Also, with the cylinder open, ther was considerable rub on the frame. It would spin, but only with force. The fit between the crane and the frame seemed to have too much gap. Perhaps it was bent slightly.

I also wanted them to look at the ejector rod. It seemed so sloppy and flimsy as to break with only little use.

I asked them to look at why the trigger pull seemed to be so heavy. On my other GP100s and SP101, I know what a "heavy" Ruger trigger is, but this was near impossible to pull in double action. Pulling the hammer back for single action was likewise extraordinarily difficult. It just felt like something wrong and I just wanted them to check that something was not wrong that I could not see unless I took it all apart. I plan on doing a spring job on it when it gets back anyway.

I know this just sounds like a list of complaints, but if I was going to send it back for one thing, they might as well look at the other issues I had with it. It was the first Ruger I owned that made me ashamed to say how much I like their products. I have a hard time understanding how this gun made it out of their factory.
Old June 18, 2016, 10:02 PM   #1407
heyjoe

i bought the 327 LCR in November of 2015
Old July 3, 2016, 01:08 AM   #1408
farmboy

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...psrq7ezyon.jpg

Yeah. A change is coming...
Old July 3, 2016, 10:22 AM   #1409
Glenn E. Meyer

Went to the gun show yesterday, and I'm starting to see more Ruger LCR's in 327 and the ammo guys are having a selection.

Tempting but not in the budget.
Old July 3, 2016, 06:07 PM   #1410
Arizona Fusilier

I was out scouting for elk Friday with my hunting buddy/high school friend. Naturally after driving for hours, a couple hunters and ex-military types are going to talk about guns at some point. Maybe he is not into guns as much as I, but certainly no neophyte or dullard on the subject.

He had never even heard of the .327 Federal.
Old July 3, 2016, 08:58 PM   #1411
Dan-O

Don't think I ever posted pics of the wife's blaster:

Old July 4, 2016, 08:45 PM   #1412
RJM52

Never had much use for the .32 H&R Magnum but when the .327 came out it got my attention. Made the BIG mistake of passing up both the GP100 and S&W 631 3" with adjustable sights...

When the Single-Seven came out I was trying to decide on what barrel length to get when a great deal came my way in the form of a Freedom Arms 97 with a non-standard 6.5" barrel... Ordered an Accurate 31-120S mold and it runs 1400 fps with AA#7.

No plans to deer hunt with it at this point but last Thursday shot with an friend from NY who dropped a doe with his I believe SP101 with a 100 grain Hornady XTP. Made a short run and fell over...

What I am hoping for is the return of the GP100 with the 5.5" .22 profile barrel...that one I will not pass up...

Friend from NY who shot the deer shooting my 97..

I passed up a used 7.5" Single-Seven which my friend then bought...I later had non-buyer remorse when I shot it...

As to a defensive round...I would rather have a Ruger LCR in .327 than .38 or .357...

Bob
Old July 5, 2016, 03:10 AM   #1413
FrankenMauser

Nice rig, RJM.
I'm jealous.

NINEX19....
Heard anything about your revolver?
Old July 5, 2016, 06:56 AM   #1414
RJM52

The dealer I bought it from ordered it for himself....waited 14 months for it to come in and when it did decided he didn't want to get into another caliber and listed for $500 under replacement cost... Only wish he had ordered the black Micarta grips so it would match my other ones...not that I am complaining mind you...
Old July 7, 2016, 09:26 PM   #1415
farmboy

Curb alert!

There's a nice .327 in the classifieds right here at TFL.
Old August 24, 2016, 02:26 AM   #1416
Cosmodragoon

This thread lives!

No, it's not just because I've been enjoying and often carrying this hot little round in the 48 days since someone last posted here. The 4.2" Ruger SP101 made this week's NRA Gun of the Week! See the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUz4S4_hV4
Old September 28, 2016, 10:24 PM   #1417
GoDevilMan

So, I want one. I have read 50 some pages of this thread. My browser search results for this round, and ruger Sp101, don't yield any fresh results. Would like advice on which sp101 in 327 to buy. Just joined forum. Wife and I taking CCW class this fall, after she practices more with her RM380 auto we just got. I want this to add 2nd handgun to our house to go with my scatterguns. I'll need it at the range during her practice sessions! I will carry the 327 concealed some, but mostly while duck hunting, fishing, or chasing Bambi with a muzzleloader. Would like extra protection from potential Mountain lions in river bottoms than a 1 shot smokepole. So, mostly holster carry, wouldn't mind IWB when we go to bigger Cities than the low crime rural area we live in. Do I just go the new 4.2 inch version, or scour the web and gun shops looking for the 3 inch SP 101? Thanks!
Old September 29, 2016, 09:39 AM   #1418
P5 Guy

S&W 'N' Frame

How many 327Federal rounds would fit in the 'N' framed Smith-Wesson?
Old September 30, 2016, 06:16 PM   #1419
Arizona Fusilier

Don't know......but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:33 PM   #1420
FrankenMauser

GoDevilMan -
I like my 4.2" SP101 for open carry.
But IWB carry isn't much fun, since I carry on the front of my body ("appendix carry", mainly). As such, bending over or sitting down results in a hammer jabbing me in the gut and a muzzle poking me in tender areas - up to and including the actual giblets.

For CC, I'd prefer the LCR or 3" SP101. (And, as you may have seen, I do have a .327 LCR that I use for CC.)
Old October 1, 2016, 08:43 PM   #1421
Soclosenotnear

Ive had my eye on a charter arms patriot, which I understand is a fairly hard to come by gun. I wouldn't mind picking it up, but alas, too many layaways on others already.
Old October 8, 2016, 09:22 AM   #1422
Radny97

The Charter Arms Patriot is pretty interesting. Thinking of adding it to my shortlist. Anyone here have one? Impressions?
Old November 4, 2016, 11:48 AM   #1423
CedarGrove357

Cutting Teeth on the .327FM

I just received my SP101 in .327 Fed Magnum this week. I have ammunition on the way, and am so excited to shoot it.

I had done research on the round and opted to get it over the .357 which I will add to my collection later. I have medium sized hands with large palms and average fingers. This gun fits like a glove.

Very instinctive for me to grab and bring in line.

I am considering it for my EDC if I can find a good IWB holster.

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old November 4, 2016, 12:38 PM   #1424
dontcatchmany

My wife purchased a Ruger LCR 327 about a month ago.

She likes it better than my SP101 38/357 (too heavy).

I shot her LCR and like it except that it is a tad small for my hands. Her self defense ammo is the Hornady 32 H&K 85 gr.
Old November 4, 2016, 01:39 PM   #1425
FrankenMauser

Very cool.

CedarGrove, which version of the SP101 did you pick up?
If it's the 3", then there are dozens of holsters to choose from.
If it's the 4".... different story.