The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 20, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Gunscribe

Target v. combat grips

Can someone explain why smooth target grips provide greater accuracy than combat finger grips?

Thanks
Old December 20, 2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Gun 4 Fun

I don't know anyone who outright claims that smooth target grips will be more "accurate" than combat grips. There are people who feel that a smooth target grip used in action shooting events, where the gun is quickly drawn from a holster, allows the gun to be fired with whatever position the hand happens to be in on the grip. Having to "fish" for the correct position takes time and hinders the whole draw, aim, fire as quick as you can idea. Having said that, I find I can shoot much better with combat grips most always, especially with a gun that is front heavy. Also, I believe that it is mostly a matter of personal comfort and taste, more than anything else.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Creature

Marketing gimmick.
Old December 20, 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
chris in va

I just think 'target' grips are more ergonomic for slow fire bullseye while the 'combat' versions have a grippier surface for rapid fire.
Old December 20, 2008, 03:01 AM   #5
Casimer

Quote:
I just think 'target' grips are more ergonomic for slow fire bullseye
I think that that's right. The classic target stocks (e.g. Herrett's Shooting Stars) are great for one-handed slow fire and thumb cocking in the 'rapid' and sustain fire relays.

Stocks w/ finger grooves seem better for DA shooting and a two-handed grip. But these grooves can be a liability for precision one-handed SA shooting if they aren't a good fit for your hand. They can affect the distribution of tension by your fingers unevenly, and if your hand shifts slightly in recoil, you can find yourself with an awkward grips coming into the next shot.

That said, I've seen people shoot BE matches very well with either type, so in the end it's really just a matter of preference.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:28 AM   #6
stevieboy

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm constantly vacillating between combats and targets on my revolvers. Every time I make a change I convince myself that my shooting has improved.
Old December 20, 2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Gunscribe

Thanks

Thanks for the explanations.

I tend to hold my 686 high up on the stocks, and the standard grips feel a bit meager where I am grasping the gun.

Sounds like I need to try an assortment of grips the next time there is a gun show nearby.

GS

Tags
grips