The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Rate Glocks
Excellent 50 36.76%
Very Good 47 34.56%
Good 17 12.50%
Average 11 8.09%
Sub Par 2 1.47%
Poor 2 1.47%
POS 7 5.15%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 9, 2001, 03:57 PM   #1
CZ_

Rate Glocks

Now its Glock's turn for a poll. Based on your experience with Glocks, rate them based on the choices. I ask that those who give either "excellent" or "POS" ratings please explain why from now on with a follow up post.

I'm going with "good", based on my current Glocks (21,26). They get the job done (very good reliability), but are somewhat lacking in accuracy and ergonomics IMO.

This poll is on for 2 days.
Old August 9, 2001, 04:37 PM   #2
denfoote

I have three. Two are great, one is so so.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old August 9, 2001, 04:42 PM   #3
Matt19

Mine are great. Absolutely no complaints at all.
Old August 9, 2001, 05:00 PM   #4
Bandit

I gave Glocks a "very good" rating as there could be some improvement towards ergonomics that would IMO change my vote to excellent though even if the tirgger stays the same. Perfection can indeed be improved on

They are definitely not worthy of a POS rating. This coming from a die hard 1911 fan who has seen his fair share (wish they would bury that dead horse)of the Glock vs 1911 debates..

Rick
Old August 9, 2001, 05:18 PM   #5
OJ

I have four Glocks - 20, 23, 27, and 29. Those are 100% reliable and all have had at least 5000 rounds through them with a total of three malfunctions that haven't come back since I changed ejectors in the 10 mm models. Great guns.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old August 9, 2001, 05:29 PM   #6
Rob96

Gave Glocks a "Very Good". My G19 is great , if it had the same accuracy as my CZ I would have gave it the "Excellent" like I gave the CZ in the other poll.
Old August 9, 2001, 06:06 PM   #7
PreserveFreedom

There's a reason they say, "Glock Perfection."

Old August 9, 2001, 09:35 PM   #8
CZ_

Some people have a hard time reading directions. I asked those that give POS ratings to at least explain why.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:05 PM   #9
retiredsgt

Glock poll

I currently have two Glocks, a Model 23 and a Mod.27. Neither one has that many rounds thru them. Before I retired I had a Glock 17 that I put over 6,000 rounds thru. I was a Firearms Instructor for our Dept. and the ammo was "free". I was not all that impressed with the 9mm. Afterall, I had carried a .38 sp. for over 24 years and was rather proficient with it. But the Glock is one heck of a gun. It can take the abuse that a police will put it thru and then some. The .40's are as accurate as the .38 revolvers were and the round is just the ticket for CCW.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:31 PM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Probably to the surprise of some...

...my vote was "Very Good". Few if any pistols are "Excellent" out of the box (or tupperware ). Glocks are superlative in the reliability and ruggedness departments, pack a lot rounds for their size in any caliber, but are a little chunky, have very proprietary triggers, and need to go to some manner of interchangeable backstrap/grip system a la the P99 so as to accomodate a wider spectrum of hand sizes.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:42 PM   #11
ChuteTheMall

Very Good

Expensive but worth it, fat butts, ugly, dependable, won't do housework.
What was the question?
Old August 9, 2001, 11:15 PM   #12
Stephen Ewing

Let the record show that I did not vote POS. However I suspect that anyone who does so will shut up out of quite well-reasoned fear of flamefests, soooooo......

1) Atrocious ergonomics. They're blocky, they point poorly, and I lack the vocabulary to properly express how bad that trigger is.

2) Have I mentioned the trigger?

3) Gimme a minute........Lessee: trigger, trigger, oh, yeah! the trigger safety. That particular POS would be ROTFLMAO funny if the blasted thing didn't seem to be multiplying.

4) Trigg...Sorry, habit. Seriously, that publicity machine is ridiculous, and does set more than a few teeth on edge. Fair or not, this is what fires more than a few of the gun's detractors.

Well, you asked for somebody to step into the line of fire, and I'll play Devil's advocate. I do genuinely dislike Glocks, based on subjective reasons. I also don't like chocolate ice cream, or lettuce, and hold all three opinions as having the same weight. I can find no evidence that Glocks are POS, that lettuce is bad for you, or that chocolate ice cream is ....

Okay, chocolate ice cream really is bad for you. I'm one for three.

Steve
Old August 9, 2001, 11:52 PM   #13
Richard

I went with very good. Why? I am not crazy about the finger indents on the newer models. My hands are large and the indents do not fit my hands. If they did I would go up to excellent. Again, why? The Glocks I own (19,23,27, and 30) are reliable, accurate, and well made. I have put thousands of rounds downrange and I can count the failures to feed on one hand. My Glock 30 doesn't like 200gr swc bullets. In closing the Model 19 is the most size efficient service 9mm made. Regards, Richard
Old August 10, 2001, 12:02 AM   #14
gconan

Excellent!
Uterly reliable!
and light weight too!
Gotta love the capacity!
scherer 3&1/2# connecters improve the trigger`s to good! Same pull every time.
No saftey to fumble with in high stress. But uterly safe!
proud owner of G-17,26,32&36

hate that I sold the 30
Old August 10, 2001, 12:28 AM   #15
Redlg155

I vote very good. I haven't found a pistol I would consider "excellent" as of yet. My "excellent" rating would mean absolutely no improvement in any area.

Other than an occasional spent shell casing to the forehead, all of the Glocks that I have owned have been extremely reliable. Too bad Glock doesn't have a factory stainless steel slide. It would really improve on the looks.

Good Shooting
RED
Old August 10, 2001, 03:53 AM   #16
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Everyone knows I'm A Sig Man,

but I gave Glock's an excellent rating. I
have owned several, and had 0 problems with
any of them. Guess you might say, the 17,
19, and 26 are my favorites; but mine were
the 17, 23, and 27. Go figure!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old August 10, 2001, 05:07 AM   #17
9x19

To be more balanced, there should have been an upper category to offset the POS.

Something on the order of "The Best Pistol Ever Built" would cover it... and get my vote.

My Glock 34 is indeed all that and the 17, 19 and 26 are pretty dang fine as well.

Ahhh.... Glock Perfection! ...or maybe infection? {shrug}
Old August 10, 2001, 08:18 AM   #18
SDC

I voted "Very Good", but only because I can't think of a pistol that truly rates an "Excellent". I own 2 (17 and 22), and they are utterly reliable, they are accurate, they fit my hand well (both 2nd Gen; I could do without the finger grooves on the 3rd Gen), and they do everything I ask of them very well. The only grain of truth I see in the anti-Glock Luddites complaints is that the trigger mechanism does take some getting used to; today, I can ring a 6" gong at 50 yards with every shot, but people who aren't used to the break point seem to "jerk" a Glock's trigger. The only other complaint I've had of my Glocks is that some of the early 10-rounders I had wouldn't "drop free" for me, so I ended up pulling the mag out to do a reload.
Old August 10, 2001, 08:57 AM   #19
OBIWAN

Excellent, for all the reasons given.

They are not pretty, but they are purely functional.

I actually think they are easier to shoot well than any other handgun.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:28 AM   #20
JMack

Out of all my guns I find my Glocks and Sigs to be the most reliable out of teh box. each has its own high points to offer. To me their is no better CCw than that of the Glock line of pistols.

They take a beating and are light to carry with high cap mags all over the place!

Jason
Old August 10, 2001, 09:32 AM   #21
don't shoot it's me

I voted POS only because they feel like it next to my browing, P7, Sig 220 and 1911...reliable guns though....just not for me...
Old August 10, 2001, 09:45 AM   #22
CZ_

Good man!

Stephen Ewing ,

Thank you very much for being honest. You were the only one so far to have the courage to explain WHY you disliked Glocks. Perhaps after others see that an honest explanation will have no negative repercussions, they will come foward as well to explain why they gave a POS rating.

Edit: don't shoot it's me , I just noticed you also came out and admitted to voting POS. Thanks for being honest, and supplying a reason.
Old August 10, 2001, 10:06 PM   #23
Stephen Ewing

CZ, no courage required for that one. Just confidence in the good folks at TFL, which is never misplaced.

Besides, it's very unhealthy to genuinely annoy the High Priestess of Glock. Especially now that she's got a 1911.

Steve
Old August 11, 2001, 07:43 AM   #24
Legionnaire

I voted "excellent." My 23 (many thousands of rounds) and my 27 (less than 500 so far) have been very reliable. Does "excellent" mean "without fault?" No, I wouldn't say so. The 23 (older model that had to have its extractor updated) fits my hand very well (big hands); the 27 was too short in the grip until I added Pearce magazine extensions. But they both shoot accurately and consistently with every type of ammo I've put through them.

Does it matter that I'm a shooter rather than a collector? "Excellent" in my mind ties to usability rather than aesthetics. Only way I'd rate any handgun a POS is if it regularly failed to function, and unless you got a lemon, I find that hard to believe about any Glock.

Oh, and I like the Glock triggers (both of mine are 5#).
Old August 12, 2001, 01:31 PM   #25
dawg23

Ok CZ - you asked for honesty, so here it is.

1. Glocks are UGLY. (However, I like that in a self defense weapon. The BG will know you mean business).

2. Glocks come in UGLY little Tupperware boxes. (Who cares. Mine stay in a holster, or in my truck's console or in in my nightstand drawer. The box is what you use to send it back to the factory, and I've never had need of that).

3. Glocks have a unique DA trigger. (It takes all of 25-30 rounds to get used to it. SO, get used to it).

4. Glocks have no external safety. (See item 3 - get used to it. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to destroy something).

5. Glocks are made of plastic. (So is the M-16, my bass boat, and quite a bit of my Corvette. So what).

6. Glocks aren't "perfection". (So what else is new. Perfection doesn't exist in a handgun and never will. It's a slogan, so get over that too. Is Coke "the real thing"? Is Budweiser "the king of beers ?? It's called advertising, OK ?).

7. Glocks have an unsupported chamber. (So do my Berettas and a host of other handguns. Shoot factory ammo and get over that too).

8. Glocks won't shoot 1" groups at 50 yards. (So what - I can't shoot that well anyway. It's a combat weapon, not a target pistol. Dare I say "get over it").

In summary, Glocks go BOOM when you pull the trigger with a round in the chamber, They DO NOT go BOOM unless you actually pull the trigger.
Is there something else it's supposed to do ??

Now you made me forget how I voted. Dang!!

Dawg23