The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Blindstitch

WTD Finer Rossi Front Sight

I picked up a Rossi Youth 22/410 combo last year as a plinker for my wife while I'm at the range and a small squirrel gun.

After the first trip to the range it was clear that the sights were so big and blockie that hitting anything smaller than a paper plate at 15 yards is a real trick.

For grins I put a red dot on it and it is better but not preferred. Then I put a scope on it but now it's getting close to overgrowing for a compact backpacking combo.

Has anyone fitted better sights on the front? Rossi hasn't contacted me back saying if they have another bolt on.

As a last resort I might just leave the scope on or try fitting one from a Marlin Model 60 since they're $11 or so on the brownells website.

The current sight looks like this

Old April 10, 2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I have the same gun/sights. There is something wrong with your aiming, and nothing wrong with the sights.
Old April 10, 2014, 04:37 AM   #3
Blindstitch

There's nothing wrong with my aiming. The sights are garbage. I can make them work and shoot decent but nobody should work that hard. I know other people with the same rifle and the same problem.

My wife spent 30 minutes shooting all over a 10 inch target getting ready to give up at any point. I handed her my Marlin and she tore the center out of the target all day long.

I have a Reminton 581 with even finer sights. So fine that even though it has a scope on it I always go to the open sights first.

If the Rossi design had a dovetail on it I could just buy a tap in sight and file it to my liking but it doesn't.
Old April 10, 2014, 05:12 PM   #4
PetahW

JMO, but a 6-o'clock hold usually clears up any target blocking issues.

Old April 10, 2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Blindstitch

If I remember right using the top sight picture the distance from the left side of the rear sight to the right side at 25 yards is about 8 inches. That's going to make it hard to shoot 50 cent piece size targets with. Fine for cans.

This is what she and I expect. And done with a Marlin 25 on her first time out ever.
Old April 11, 2014, 10:56 AM   #6
PetahW

My point is that's it's doable with the 6-o'clock hold - just balance the black bull atop the front sight, with the rifle zeroed high enough to put the POI into the center of the bull - only needed for competition, and not for shooting tight groups (which can go anywhere on the paper the group may be seen).

A group is a group is a group, no matter where it's located - but if centering a group is what floats your boat, do the high zero.

The 6-o'clock hold is for target shooting, though - and not the best practice for hunting.

Old April 11, 2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Blindstitch

The 6-o'clock hold isn't going to cut it when the squirrels come out and play. If a rifle cant hunt than it's only going to collect dust. I've had crossman bb guns that had better sights.

The point is if I said to my wife we're going to the range right now so go pick out the rifles you want to take she probably wouldn't grab her Rossi. She would probably go straight to a Marlin or Remington. I don't care if she uses those rifles but when she says can you fix Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (That's what she calls her 22/410 combo) for me then that's what I'm going to do.

She want's to beat me at the dirty bird Battleship target game which is like shooting nickels and it's not going to happen with these sights. I almost wonder if a peep sight configuration can be mounted on the barrel.

Old April 26, 2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Blindstitch

Looks like the Marlin 983s magnum front site will be the replacement once I get time. The price is right and the blade is even thinner than my marlin 25.

I was out shooting my 983s yesterday and the sites are perfect. In the meantime I put a 4x30 scope on the rossi and it's a tac driver. Best part was the scope was free.