The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Nosler Ballistic Silvertip

http://www.nosler.com/ballistic-silvertip

Black bullets,
Anyone ever try these?
And are they a gimmick or not?
I was looking for some new bullets for my 6mm Rem and since I have had good luck with Nosler’s in the gun I went there first and saw these.
What’s your opinion?
Thank you

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure what you mean by "gimmick", exactly.

They're coated in "Lubalox", which does essentially the same thing as Moly. Otherwise, they're basically like any other ballistic tip bullet.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

IIRC they are a joint effort between Nosler and Winchester. They are the bullets used in the winchester supreme silvertip line.
I have used the 95 grain bullets in .243 and the 150 gain bullets in .308 with good success.
Other than the moly coating they are essentially Nosler ballistic tips.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I use moly on 22 cal bullets with a 700 exclusively but I wasn’t sure what the coating was. Whether it’s a coating (powder) like moly or a baked on or something like a finish. Since it does not actually say moly I was wondering if it had the same properties as moly.
Thanks

3 Lubalox ®Exterior Coating
Reduces fouling, pressure and friction between bullet and bore; provides longer barrel life, easier cleaning and enhanced accuracy.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:10 PM   #5
schmellba99

Quote:
They're coated in "Lubalox", which does essentially the same thing as Moly. Otherwise, they're basically like any other ballistic tip bullet.
Lubalox is a super secret name for cuprous (or cupric, I can't remember) oxide.

Cuprous/cupric oxide does absolutely nothing for the barrel and is a chemical treatment, unlike moly, which is a surface treatment. For all intents and purposes, the Lubalox coating is strictly a marketing venture that has absolutely nothing to do with any enhanced performance and is purely an aesthetic aspect that puts the CT projectiles as different than a standard copper jacket.

I think the older BST projectiles had a more moly like coating, but that was in the initial phase of them - for the past decade or more it is just a chemical treatment CT uses to essentially color the projectiles for marketing. They do have a wax like coating that is for corrosion/discoloration resistance, but outside of that they are no different than a regular copper jacketed projectile (as in no special cleaning procedures required after shooting, etc.). Lubalox does not build up in barrels like moly will.

As far as a "gimmick", no, the projectiles are not a gimmick. They are extremely good hunting projectiles that are accurate, consistent in weight and do their designed job extremely well when the shooter uses them within the limitations of the projectile and caliber.

I use them exclusively right now for hunting and have nothing but praise for their performance out of my .223, .243 and .30-06 on everything from light game (.223) to white tail deer (.243) and elk (.30-06).

Here is an example of a .243 exit wound on a little central texas spike shot at about 110 yards - 95 grain CT BST, 40.5 gr H414, Winchester LR primer, Winchester brass (not the greatest picture, but exit wound was about the size of a quarter)

Old July 10, 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Clark

I have shot 15 deer in the last 5 years with 270, 7mm, and 257 Ballistic tip bullets and I like the bullets.

I assume that the black with white tip are the combined technology Nosler/Winchester. The coating is Winchester the bullet is a ballistic tip.

I have only shot the black ones at targets.
They do not do as well for me at targets.
I moly coat the Ballistic tip bullet and burnish my bores with moly bore paste.
My process is not working well with the black bullets, as far as group size goes, so I am not buying any more of them.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 10, 2013, 02:23 PM   #7
southjk

Quote:
They're coated in "Lubalox", which does essentially the same thing as Moly.
Below quotes from the OP's linked page.

Quote:
WILL LUBALOX® HARM THE GUN BARREL?

Lubalox does not harm the barrel. In fact, testing shows that the coating often reduces barrel fouling.

Lubalox® coating is not a Moly coating.
Quote:
WHAT IS LUBALOX®?

Lubalox® is the trade name Winchester uses to describe a black oxide process. It is a very thin oxide bullet coating, often compared to the bluing on a steel firearm.
And they look cool too.
Old July 10, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
histed

I have yet to try these in my 7mm, but my brother and nephew won't use anything else for PA whitetails. Bothe shoot 168 grain .308. To hear them tell it, deer just don't run on these bullets (I've already ask about placement). IF they ever become available in my area again, I intend to give them a try.
Old July 10, 2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't say that Lubalox IS Moly. I said it essentially does the same thing. It supposedly reduces friction and reduces fouling, as does Moly. Whether one is better, does more, I have no idea.
Old July 10, 2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Ozzieman

Thanks every one great info, I am going to order some in 22 and 243.
Thanks

Old July 10, 2013, 05:57 PM   #11
MEATSAW

I am sure there will be someone that disagrees but the Lubalox coating does work very well for reducing fouling. I have compared the amount of "blue" I can get out of my barrel after a day of shooting regular jacketed and the Silvertip CTs and there is a substantial difference. Same # of rounds fired, same velocity, in the same gun. So all other attributes aside the CT Silvertips work. Given their design I think they are good bullets to use as long as impact velocities don't get too high and if you are shooting at a range suitable to benefit from the boat tail.

Given the ranges I shoot at the most I use flat base bullets, they tend to group better for me @ 100 yards. But I always will try the Silvertips first when working up a load.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Reloader2

Nosler Ballistic Silvertip

I've never shot the coated bullets but got a bunch from the Nosler shop that hadn't been coated. They act pretty much like a ballistic tip.
Old July 11, 2013, 04:20 PM   #13
schmellba99

Reloader2 - the projectiles are the same and will perform the same on targets, accuracy, with load development, etc.

The only difference is the Lubalox coating, which turns the copper jacket black. Some claim it reduces fouling, and it may be true to some degree on the copper fouling part, but it isn't going to do anything major. By the time the projectile is halfway down the barrel, you have bare copper in the lands (I have recovered several jackets after dressing game).

I'm a huge fan of them, but I don't buy into the mentality that the Lubalox coating is anything more than a marketing gig to differentiate their projectiles from the rest of the available choices.
Old July 11, 2013, 09:00 PM   #14
reynolds357

I love the Ballistic Silvertip. I have shot them since Winchester came out with them. I have killed piles of deer with them. Accurate, and stay together good enough for whitetails. I have no idea what "lubralox" is. What I can tell you is that it is not just there for cosmetic purposes. Buy a box of Ballistic Silvertips and a box of Ballistic tips, load identical charges and go to the Chronograph. The Ballistic Silvertip will have lower velocity than the Ballistic tip. The Ballistic Silvertip can also stand a higher powder charge than the Ballistic Tip without showing pressure signs.