The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 16, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Noreaster

Opinions on Ruger LCR

Thinking of buying one and I'd like to hear some opinions. How does it shoot. How does it compare to a S&W airweight. Any problem with holsters or speed loaders? Thanks N/E
Old October 16, 2012, 05:13 PM   #2
iraiam

I like mine, I bought the .357 with crimson trace grips, I really don't like baggy clothing, I find it easy to conceal. I'll carry it on an ankle rig, a King Tuck IWB, or even just drop it in my pocket.

I find it most accurate with heavier bullets, I'll say that with a 158 grain SD load the recoil took some getting used to, in fact if I shoot too may rounds at the range, my hand and trigger finger will be sore.

When I practice at the range, I shoot 158 gr. LSWC (gas checked), it does recoil. Then at the end I'll finish off with 10-15 SD loads.

I use the rubber strip loader, for two reasons. 1, the rubber strip loaded with 6 rounds is easier to pocket than a round revolver speed loader. 2, I cannot find a round speed loader for the LCR, although I haven't really looked on-line.

It's not as fast as an actual speed loader but if 5 rounds doesn't get me out of trouble or buy me enough time to reload, I'm skewered anyway. Plus I have an extra "I don't want to be a zombie bullet".

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 17, 2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Mosin44az

If you have an Airweight you like, keep it. The LCR doesn't really have any advantages, and is a cheaper, less-established design. In my area it's also slightly more expensive.

My .38 LCR broke its trigger after only a couple of weeks. Ruger fixed it promptly, all on their dime, they replaced the transfer bar, but gave no assurances it wouldn't happen again.

The LCR hurts as much to shoot as an Airweight, actually, in my opinion, it hurts a bit more than my Centennial with the Smith rubber boot grips.

The LCR is light but slightly bulkier than my Airweight also, too big for front pocket carry with a holster in my experience.

Since I don't need two pocket revolvers that are painful to shoot, I am keeping my Airweight Centennial and will ditch the LCR at some point. At least the Airweight is a design of proven durability.

And Don't listen to anyone who SAYS the LCR has less recoil than an Airweight.
Old October 17, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Noreaster

Thanks for the info. The S&W is listed at $325 in my area and the LCR is more. Still like to try one though.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Pisa

IMO, I didn't like the LCR, felt like a cap gun to me. I mentioned this in another thread already, but I ended up buying an S&W 642 or the LCR. The guy at my LGS said all day people were buying the LCR over the 642. Fit & finish the S&W is just a better revolver IMO, you really can't beat them.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:08 AM   #6
FloridaVeteran

I like the "big" Rugers a lot, but did not like the LCR at all. I like everything about the Smith much more in this general size and weight category.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:36 AM   #7
RubiDing

Quote:
I use the rubber strip loader, for two reasons. 1, the rubber strip loaded with 6 rounds is easier to pocket than a round revolver speed loader. 2, I cannot find a round speed loader for the LCR, although I haven't really looked on-line.
http://www.5starfirearms.com/357_j_2.html
Old October 17, 2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Jayhawkhuntclub

The LCR is excellent and has a better trigger than most J-frames.
I pocket carry it all the time in slacks or even blue jeans. And I'm not Mr. baggy jeans guy. I have tendonitis in my hands and really don't enjoy shooting hot 357s in it. But the general opinion is that it's not as bad in recoil as the comparable weight J-frames. I have shot sub 2.5" 5 shot groups at 20 yards standing unsupported with 357s, but average closer to 3.5" at 20 yds; so accuracy is not an issue. I am a Ruger and Smith guy, so I think I'm fairly unbiased.
Old October 17, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Obambulate

I got the LCR-22 partly because it was significantly cheaper than the J-frame .22 LRs, and seemed to be well made. I liked the use of appropriate materials for each section of the gun. Stainless steel, lightweight alloy, polymer, rubber. Still getting used to the funky trigger, but it's a good value for a DA .22 revolver.

The LCR in .38 Special however, is up against the 642/442 Smiths which cost the SAME or even a bit LESS than the Ruger, and the Smiths are a proven choice for carry. That's a whole new ball game, IMO. I think I would choose a no-lock Smith. I like the huge choice of J-frame aftermarket grips, for one thing.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:21 PM   #10
CDR_Glock

I shoot all sorts of high end revolvers, and when I tried the Ruger I liked the trigger. 13 oz doesn't absorb much shock, though. Rapid fire and accuracy is not an issue. However, I only shoot plus P out of mine and it starts to hurt after 20 rounds and continues up to 100 rounds.

Anyways, it's a comfortable gun to carry but a horrible gun to shoot. The S&W 442 at 17 ounces handles better, absorbs recoil and distributes force better making it pleasant to shoot.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:07 PM   #11
LockedBreech

I find the LCR to be the most comfortable snubbie I've shot, over the 442, 642, and Colt Detective Special. The padding on the backstrap made a big difference to me.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:59 PM   #12
raindog

Have it and carry it daily. Am shortly going to add the CT grips but I don't have them at the moment.

I personally don't find shooting .357 Mag very pleasant in a snub, so I carry .38. I have shot a little +P out of it but not much. I don't recall +P being as bad as others in this thread have said. (On the other hand, I've never found any snub that shot .357 Mag that didn't hurt my hand).

Normal .38? No problem. I went through 100 rounds at the range a couple weeks with it and my hand felt fine.

I like the trigger on it. Of course, keep in mind what it is - a double action trigger on a .38 snub. It's not going to break like a finely tuned 1911 single action trigger, but then again, it doesn't have to. I did not care for the comparable S&W trigger. I found the LCR's trigger to be smoother. Otherwise, the guns are very similar.

I really can't think of any negatives. I wish it had night sights...one reason I'm adding the CT grips. It's very lightweight and ideal for pocket carry (in a pocket holster). Overall I find it to be a very nice carry gun.

I don't carry a speedloader, or any additional ammo, so I can't comment.

One thing I'll mention is that the LCR has a slight "rattle" in the transfer bar. Go to a gun store, pick one up, and you'll see what I mean. It's completely normal. I never notice it unless I'm specifically looking for it.

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q119

If you're near Portland, Oregon, happy to demo it.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:11 AM   #13
fdreano

I carry the LCR .38+P daily with the C/T grips and a Hi-Viz front sight....a great little shooter IF you use the proper grip. Most that fuss about accuracy and hands hurting are not doing it the best way. Check out Jerry about 2-1/2 minutes thru the 7th video using snubbies: http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek

I too had a disturbing trigger failure during a dry fire session. Ruger quickly fixed it but it sure didn't inspire confidence. You cannot 'short stroke' this DAO only piece and have to hone your technique to avoid it.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:22 AM   #14
berettaprofessor

Hated my Ruger LCR-22 and traded it within a week. Really really bad trigger, couldn't keep it on target.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:27 PM   #15
reset

I own an LCR and do like it.
One slight negative for me is born out of the fact that I'm used to shooting autos with the reset method. So, when transitioning to the DAO LCR trigger, there is the possibility of short-stroking the trigger so the gun binds up until I let the trigger out fully. This is potentially incompatible with a rapid-fire scenario. Just something to be aware of. I've cured myself (mostly) by practicing dry-fire.

If I had a do-over I might opt for a j-frame sans the internal lock.
FWIW, the ruger does also have an internal lock.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #16
mySig229

I'd go Taurus Slim 9
SAO trigger
Second strike capable
Good feel, better than LC9
Not horrible on the wrist
Built in lock system
Lifetime warranty
Crimson trace laser guard with pressure switch
Etc...

Old October 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #17
Dragline45

I heard multiple occasions that short stroking the trigger on the LCR can make it become inoperable and needs a trip to the factory to fix it. Short stroking can be pretty common in rapid fire regardless of how much you practice with it, especially under a high stress situation. No thanks ill stick with J frames.

For those who don't know what short stroking is, it's going to pull the trigger again before it fully resets, happens more often when putting lighter springs in the gun. When this happens on a J frame it usually skips the chamber you were about to fire a round from. I would like to think this is a rumor or freak thing with the LCR but I have heard of several first hand occasions where this happened with the Ruger.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #18
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdreano View Post
I carry the LCR .38+P daily with the C/T grips and a Hi-Viz front sight....a great little shooter IF you use the proper grip. Most that fuss about accuracy and hands hurting are not doing it the best way. Check out Jerry about 2-1/2 minutes thru the 7th video using snubbies: http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek

I too had a disturbing trigger failure during a dry fire session. Ruger quickly fixed it but it sure didn't inspire confidence. You cannot 'short stroke' this DAO only piece and have to hone your technique to avoid it.
Do you have pictures of how it's done? I use a high grip on all pistols and revolvers.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:51 PM   #19
ares338

Opinions on the LCR

I think my LCR purchase was the best thing I have done in a while. It conceals perfectly in my front pocket and is easy to shoot with the smooth DAO trigger. I find shooting shooting magnum loads invigorating not to mention fun. For me it is accurate out to 15 yards. A small negative for me is the sights although I am getting used to them.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:57 PM   #20
JWT

Nice little gun in many respects, but not fun to shoot. Due to its light weight it is quite punishing. I found 15 to 20 rounds the max my hand would tolerate. The trigger was terrible.

For those reasons I swapped it out.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:10 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

I love my 357 LCR. It's my carry pistol - accurate at SD ranges, easy carry and light - never have I had a problem or issue with mine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 18, 2012, 09:48 PM   #22
qqq1

I like my LCR 38 and it's my daily carry. Sure it can be a little painfull to run 100 rounds through but do you think that will matter when you pull it out to save your life? I'm pretty accurate with it. I've practiced shooting it fast and have no problem avoiding short strokes. Had my friend who isn't a gun guy shoot it and he had no issues. My mom had a S&W featherweight of some kind and wasn't very happy with it. Neither of us could shoot it well. She tried my LCR and we went to the gun shop to trade in hers for an LCR. The gun is good but you really need to try them to see what is best for you.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:58 PM   #23
Old John

I have both........LCR's

I first bought the .38 special LCR. And when the .357's became available I got one of those too. I use the .38 for pocket carry. And, I like the .357 in the same strong-side pancake holster I use for my SP101.
The .357 LCR is a lot snappier than the .38 special. I'll keep them both though.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:48 PM   #24
Viper1357

I really like my .38 Spec LCR. I sold my 642 after dry firing one in a LGS a couple years back. The smooth trigger action sold me on it.

I did have some QC issues with my first LCR, but Ruger took it back and sent me a new gun. I went straight to the range (live close by) and tested it. Perfect. Since then, I shoot it a couple times a month, and it continues to be one of my favorite and trusted carry guns.

"

Last edited by Viper1357; November 15, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:12 PM   #25
shafter

To me they are one of the most ugly revolvers in production except maybe the Rhino. BUT. . . .I recently got to shoot a friends and I was quite impressed with the function. I think they trigger pull might be just a touch better than my Smith 637. Maybe it's just the grip on the LCR that enables me to shoot it more accurately. I don't care for the button cylinder latch. I much prefer Smith and Wessons.

If you don't care at all about looks then the LCR would make a great little CC piece. I'll stick with my 637 though.